Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Code Reader / Clearing Codes / Diagnostics

TonySJ-996TT

After a bit of advice (again) Gents...

Being a 'car' person from a 'car' family, I think I should really invest in some sort of code reader, which allows me not only to diagnose issues, but also clear error codes once rectified etc. I would probably want this to extend to 'reset service intervals' for some marques too as we do service some of the vehicles ourselves.

Problem is, there's such a vast range of products available at wildly varying prices, it becomes quite a confusing choice.

What I'm after is something that will firstly help me do the above (diagnose/clear) with the porsche, but also don't want to be limited to porsche only, as we have other vehicle marques which we would also want to use the product on.

There seems to be loads on the market at around £30-£50, which seems a nice acceptable figure since indys will probably charge that for once instance of 'plugging in', however if by spending a little more I can get a much improved product, I don't mind doing that too....

Your combined expertise/personal experience and general wit would once again be much appreciated :thumbs:

The cheep code readers tend to be for OBD fault codes only. These are emissions related codes only. If you want to talk to multiple makes and other modals with reliable data you will need to spend a lot more. You may find some second hand pro stuff on eBay but this is still not going to be cheep. The OBD code readers will not give you manufacturer specific fault codes so some times you will have the MIL on and no code stored in the area of the ecu you have access to. We do diagnostic work at work an spend 10's of thousands of pounds to be able to cover a large % of makes and modals and we can't do everything.

One of my favourite bits of kit is my Bosch KTS as its normally reliable information from a code reader side of things and it has a good backup information system. That said its no cop for Porsche. It's quite cheep as pro code readers go but it's still about £1300 plus vat and update/information system is £1000 plus vat a year. Then there is a couple of bits of Snap-on kit we have those two run in about £8k and about £800 each to update plus vat. Then to cover the Asian market we use G-Scan £2k plus £300 a year to update. Then we have Vag com for VAG cars this is a peach as its dirt cheep at about £300 and free updates and then I use Durametric for Porsche which I think is about £600plus vat with free updates.

I think that about covers most of the code reader/scope stuff but it doesn't stop there as there is so much other stuff you need unless you like playing perks darts when you pull a code out of a system. £50 may seem like a lot to pay to have someone look at your car but it may be cheaper than it seems. I'm not saying don't buy a code reader just make sure you know what your buying and treat the information it gives you as a post code to a fault not a diagnosis. Diagnosing the fault after getting a fault code is when the skill comes in. Good luck and happy fault finding. :thumb:

As said above, if you want manufacture specific fault codes, then you will be spending hundreds to thousands.

OBD2 code readers only read OBD specific codes which are a legal requirement. It won't tell you your Porsche is under boosting for example.

For your Porsche if you want full coverage, then the personal Durametric is the cheapest.

https://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/durametric.php

Rick

Matt,
Many thanks for your detailed response, much appreciated and I note your points about functionality and being able to access certain modules/data vs. Cost.
In all honesty, the scanning tool will be used by me for determining & rectification of simpler issues (within my scope of skills) and since I intend to keep my car for many years, I believe whatever I choose (upto a certain value) will ultimately pay for itself. For anything I don't understand it will be going to my indy.

Rick, I believe you may be right, everything seems to be pointing towards Durametric for the porsche. Just a shame as I will no doubt need to use it on other cars (present/future).

Chris, what you have highlighted seems like a good porsche alternative...although didn't you sell this in favor of a Durametric System?
What is it that Durametric gives you that the POR II system doesnt?

I think I probably need an OBD kit but which one?

The Durametric seems to be the best with Pro and DIY versions, the latter seems to be limited to support for 3 cars but otherwise seems the same however £339+VAT seems a lot when it's $287 in the USA. Anyone shipped from the USA?

What experience do people have with the cheaper Carsoft, does it allow the full range of codes and resets or have you found limitations?

thanks
Mike

Will this reset the warning lights on my 02 911 turbo if so why is it nearly half the price of the other one they have for sale on ebay ?

The Durametric Porsche Diagnostic Tester Tool Enth 1 Kit

£406.80

Hi Barefoot,
I'm considering buying the Durametric Porsche Diagnostic Tester Tool Enth 1 Kit from the US, it's only $287 there and even with shipping and VT. it should be much cheaper than the UK importer.
Mike

I believe that it does and the main difference is that enthusiast version is limited to 3 cars. I think the pro version does do some things like setting new hardware (cruise control, sat nav etc) but I can go to a local indy for that if I need it.

Does anyone out there really know?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back