Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 964 Turbo Electrical or Fuel?

My 964 turbo has become reluctant to start and when it does fire requires feathering on throttle until the engine catches fully then runs ok. It has gradually got worse and now will not start at all! When turning over the exhaust smells of fuel so am thinking it is probably electrical. Crankcase sensor has correct output but HT output seems missing (most of the time!) Are there relays that prevent HT output if fuel pressure is wrong? Any of you experienced guys any clues for me. Help very much appreciated. Mike

Have you had the metering head tested? Over time the seals etc degrade and then you get a dodgy mixture.

My 964T had the same symptoms - struggle to start, lumpy idle, rich mixture. Fuel pressure tested fine at idle, but going up and down the revs it was obvious the head needed a refurb.

I had something similar once with mine, though it was a while back, so the details are not so clear - it turned out to be a split 'O' ring. Once replaced, the car was fine.

Don't ask me any technical questions about what and where, because I'm not a mechanic :dont know:

Thank you both so much for taking the trouble to reply. You were both very close to the solution(s). That was the fundamental issue as I thought that there was simply one problem that deteriorated until the car would not start. However the initial problem of starting was the seal on the inlet tract causing erratic running until the engine revs came up. However, additionally the after market immobilizer that my insurer had originally said I needed fitting finally failed causing the car not to start. I am told that is not uncommon after 5 or so years. Now disabled (and with tracker fitted) all seems fine again!

Glad you got it sorted :thumbs:

Now go and enjoy... :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back