Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil Packs

maldren said:
A frustrating morning. Tried to fit the new coil packs but outside without a hoist, it's a bit too much at this time of year, looks like a job for the Indy.
The problem was that I couldn't get the NS exhaust header off, one of the 3 studs had already been sheared off by the PO and I didn't want to risk another when it was tight and access was restricted.
I only replaced one coil pack but here are pick of the old and new to show how the design has changed. Interestingly the coil I took off had a 997 part no (mine's a 996.2) so they must have already been changed. Both parts are Beru.

You can change them without removing exhaust ,if your near Milton keynes id happily to give you a hand,

BHZ661 said:
You can change them without removing exhaust ,if your near Milton keynes id happily to give you a hand,
Thanks for the kind offer, I woudl love to take you up on it but I'm in South London so a bit far away.

I'm sure it can be done but without a hoist (I do plan to get one) it's hard work and there is very little room to manoeuvre. The front pack was ok but I even gave up on trying to disconnect the centre coil pack. I may have another go if the weather improves!

I also need a code reader and that would (I expect) tell me which coil pack actually needed replacement. The one I did take out had a crack in the casing.

maldren said:
The problem was that I couldn't get the NS exhaust header off, one of the 3 studs had already been sheared off by the PO and I didn't want to risk another when it was tight and access was restricted.

WTF? Taking your exhaust off to fit coil packs :eek:

I know Indy's probably do this as it ramps the bill up for them, but seriously - 40 minute job and that includes getting the ramps out, doing the job, then packing the ramps away.

Hi Alex,
I must be missing something because you and BZH661 seem to have the knack.
The front pack was pretty easy but I can't get my hand up to disconnect the leads let alone Manoeuvre out the coils in the space between the head and the silencer. Do you use a tool of some sort to get the leads off?
I'll certainly have another go when the weather improves.
Mike

No special tools. Just pull the leads off. Have you got the heat shields fitted? I don't have them on mine. The coil packs are fixed in with Allen cap head bolts on mine. Just crack the m loose with an allen key, then you the bit out my socket set so you can undo easy and quickly with your fingers.

I replaced my plugs, coils, heat shields and bolts last night. Got all the parts from OPC. No issues with the heat shield fowling the coil packs

Did you get the new design coil packs with the longer bolts? I'm not doing the rest of mine until it gets a bit warmer - -later next week apparently......

Beru coil packs

Bought 6 Beru coil packs from Carparts 4less ordered late Thursday afternoon, 0930 next morning on the doorstep! £29 each with £15 discount code :worship: :worship: :worship:

maldren said:
Did you get the new design coil packs with the longer bolts? I'm not doing the rest of mine until it gets a bit warmer - -later next week apparently......

I assume so. They were a different design ( a bit thicker ) and required longer E-Torx bolts rather than Allen head ones. Noticed the old knackered ones I removed were beru but the new ones were Borg Waner ( part number 997.602.104.02).

Yes those sound right. I can't imagine more than a couple of people manufacture these unless they are used elsewhere on a high volume car so I suspect that other companies are branding them. Probably best to get the cheapest available.

maldren said:
Yes those sound right. I can't imagine more than a couple of people manufacture these unless they are used elsewhere on a high volume car so I suspect that other companies are branding them. Probably best to get the cheapest available.

I always go to the dealership. Built a good relationship with the parts dept. so they always look after me. I understand that the likes of Euro car parts might do these parts cheaper but I atleast know my parts are the correct ones for the car. Plus it always looks better when coming to sell the car having an invoice from the Porsche dealer rather than Euro car parts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back