Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

300K Done.

poppopbangbang said:
Harv said:
I wonder if that's the crank bearing shell set nearest to the flywheel by any chance?

DMFW on its way out
:?:

No other end, it's a debris failure rather than a lack of lubrication failure - a big of hard material from a cam chain tensioner has made it past the oil pickup screen and ended up embedded in the bearing. Just one of those things unfortunately, it could have gone another 100K Kms or so before the bore ovality was bad enough to cause high oil consumption or a failure of the liner.

Ahh 10-4

That's a shame, was this as a result of the chains basically wearing the chain tensioner pad away?

Would you know the ring gaps that the replacement engine is being built to? I'm particularly interested in what Autofarm are going to set these at as I'm building something similar (though using the 3.6 which has the longer throw crank).

Really like the Cayenne front caliper convserion, and something I'm now considering :thumb:

Harv,
Those calipers are unbelievably powerful. I must admit, I'd be worried about brake balance; my fronts lock up first (esp. slow speed/bumpy road) even on standard calipers.

I had my old B5 Audi RS4 almost swap ends once, braking hard into a corner, after putting same calipers on (great conversion, less than a set of OEM discs.... :eek: ) and that was a big, heavy old 4WD bus (with a mediocre chassis, it's true, but all-new dampers, etc.)

For PPBB I bet these are great for hauling the car down from autobahn speeds, but I'd be surprised if brake balance isn't an issue (maybe he's compensated for that?).

As a Mk1 cayenne owner I can only guess what these must be like as they are great in their original application.

I also prefer more rear brake bias than factory cars come with, and putting the OEM fronts onto the back must help a tad👍

EGTE said:
For PPBB I bet these are great for hauling the car down from autobahn speeds, but I'd be surprised if brake balance isn't an issue (maybe he's compensated for that?).

Compensated mainly by increasing the rear braking force too :D The front C4 calipers which are now on the rear carry the same pad as the GT3 uses in the rear only the pistons in the front calipers are larger than the GT3 has in the standard rears so rear braking effort is slightly more than a Mk1 GT3 even with the same size 330mm discs. Don't forget a 996 has a lot of weight over the rear when compared to a saloon car so they don't tend to nose over and unload the rears like a front engine car does.

Fascinating read as usual PPBB, keep the updates coming.

Cheers!

Bigger brakes on the front is less of a problem than too much rear bias. Too much rear will spin you round.
It wasn't pleasant seeing MRCs widebody spinning down the runway in front of me at Bruntingthorpe at over 200mph at the end of the run!
How it didn't hook a wheel into the runway and overturn I don't know!

EGTE said:
Harv,
Those calipers are unbelievably powerful. I must admit, I'd be worried about brake balance; my fronts lock up first (esp. slow speed/bumpy road) even on standard calipers.

I had my old B5 Audi RS4 almost swap ends once, braking hard into a corner, after putting same calipers on (great conversion, less than a set of OEM discs.... :eek: ) and that was a big, heavy old 4WD bus (with a mediocre chassis, it's true, but all-new dampers, etc.)

searider said:
Bigger brakes on the front is less of a problem than too much rear bias. Too much rear will spin you round.
Completely agree, many years ago when I worked on brake testing at Millbrook, vehicles would fail type approval testing if the rears locked first, it was always completely unacceptable. To avoid rear lock up various types of unsophisticated pressure limiting or load balancing valves were used to limit the fluid pressure to the rears as the weight transfers forward under braking and prevent lock up.

However the 911 has significant weight at the rear and we now have antilock brakes so the 911 can provide a lot of braking at the rear. Did MRC lock up the rears under braking and if so, did the antilock not work?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back