Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine mount wear limits?

Drive your car, and at about 30/40 mph on a wide road, steer quickly & smoothly left & right like you are driving around cones, you will feel the car change direction, then just after that you will feel the mass of the engine "slop" across on its mounts following the direction change, & the way it slightly unsettled the car.... Replacement upgraded mounts get rid of that horrible "hinge in the middle" feeling.

JTT said:
alex yates said:
I read a report a while ago (think it was from Centre Gravity on their website) that showed an example of what they check. They stated they grab the manifold on one side and measure how much they can move it up or down and if it's beyond a certain tolerance, advise you renew them.

Alex, I tried this today for fun. I couldn't move it even a thousandth of an inch. Not really surprised as this is a pretty big mass.

I could rock mine up and down with this method just by lying under the side of the car. Moved in the region of 1cm - 2cm. That's why I changed mine.

Here are a couple of pics with new mount compared to old and new installed with jacks removed.

Old mount installed
IMG_1720_zpszax1k1af.jpg

New mount installed
IMG_1764_zpsdhtennxb.jpg

New vs old

IMG_1759_zps6nl65c0t.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back