Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High speed steering vibration

Madasmad

Trainee
My 996 drives perfectly up to @100mph when I then get a strong vibration through the steering which does not seem to improve with more speed but does go away as the speed drops. Breaking is straight and true.

Does anyone know what this is please? Could it be a balance issue?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Could well be a wheel balance issue.

Also check the condition of the tyres... I had a similar vibration (though from the rears) caused by the inside edges wearing oddly and sort of pulling up the tread into a slight saw tooth profile- you can feel it if you run your hand around the tyre.

Tyres can just 'go off' as they get a bit long in the tooth, particularly Pirelli.

Robertb said:
Could well be a wheel balance issue.

Also check the condition of the tyres... I had a similar vibration (though from the rears) caused by the inside edges wearing oddly and sort of pulling up the tread into a slight saw tooth profile- you can feel it if you run your hand around the tyre.

Tyres can just 'go off' as they get a bit long in the tooth, particularly Pirelli.

Thanks for that. The rears are getting towards their sell buy date and perhaps this isn't helping. I think a new pair are in order then! Mine are Conti's.

It's probably a combination of the well worn tyres and them being out of balance.

If you're prone to doing such speeds I'd suggest you investing in a GEO too.

You won't believe the difference.

See here => The difference a GEO makes

T8 said:
It's probably a combination of the well worn tyres and them being out of balance.

If you're prone to doing such speeds I'd suggest you investing in a GEO too.

You won't believe the difference.

See here => The difference a GEO makes

Thanks T8

Yup +1 for the geo. Only problem is when I got mine done they found all sorts of bits and bobs wrong with the suspension so ended up shelling out a fair amount. Well worth it though as it is now a different car to drive.

I had this too when getting above 70 the vibration became a little concerning! I'd already had the geo done so knew that was OK. So I had all of the wheels rebalanced, cost around £20. The steering no longer vibrates. Best £20 I've spent!

Does the vibration disappear after 110/115 mph? Or does it get progressively worse?
If it gets worse, have a look at your gearbox mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back