Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Would you: powder coat or polish or high heat paint this?

ms2015

A friend of mine presented with the following choice on the exhaust silencer and tip he has removed from his 964, should he get the autosol out and a few hours of elbow grease? or powder coat all the parts? or v high heat paint it? Probably in black colour for the latter two options. Any thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Attachments

• img_0711_839.jpg
    img_0711_839.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 5,375
Keep original and polish up.

I doubt whether powder coat would survive the temperature.
You can get a polishing kit on eBay amongst other places, they're not expensive and have buffing wheels which attach to a drill, they come with the correct compound for buffing/polishing, I got one recently to restore house interior door finger plates which were brass but highly tarnished, it worked very well and brought them up to a high sheen.
Trying to tackle a large silencer without a machine would take forever.
Alternatively a car polishing mop with an abrasive pad would be good, using finer pads each time until it's shiny.

Paint and powder coat unlikely to last, polish will and can be redone if tarnished.

Ideas much appreciated chaps. Machine polishing it is.
FK1000p to seal it once finished?

ms2015 said:
Ideas much appreciated chaps. Machine polishing it is.
FK1000p to seal it once finished?

If it's just the exhaust tip then 000 grade wire wool and metal polish, by hand, is all you need :) shouldn't take long at all.

FK1000p will protect, but will need reapplying every month or so.

Chris

Autosol Solvol is a good metal polish and leaves a protective film.

What about ceramic coating these beauties? :dont know: :?:

I have it saved now too.... :D :thumb: :grin: :thumbs:

Would like to get some bits done in the near future.

Seems like a no brainer at those prices against painting it yourself or spending valuable hours polishing the life out of it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back