Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Never Never

I've told my mate to come onto the forum to read all the replys you guys have sent in .. i personally think which ever way he lends the cash he will have 5 years great road driving with a smile from ear to ear and at any point he thinks right i'd like to sell the car now or swop he will be quids in still.. he doesn't have a house to pay for so i guess thats one less worry.. i'm sure he will be showing us all what car he went for at some point :thumb:

I bought both a 993 and a Cayenne at the same time. There appears to be a cost neutral effect with the 993 appreciation offsetting the Cayenne depreciation at roughly the same rate. I have of course ignored maintenance etc as any car needs maintenance. These are nice cars, so its a bit more than a Ford Focus.

Tobesetc said:
These threads where you get about 10% of the info and then give a detailed answer are great!

JonT is right, way better than buying a new car...and I'm impressed his clairvoyance extends as far as knowing the car will need a suspension refresh! ;-)

Ah ..... even a factory fresh 993 on Monroe's would benefit from new dampers :thumb:

Tobesetc said:
Get your money from a bank, not a car dealer.

Couldn't have put it better myself :thumb:

jonttt said:
Tobesetc said:
These threads where you get about 10% of the info and then give a detailed answer are great!

JonT is right, way better than buying a new car...and I'm impressed his clairvoyance extends as far as knowing the car will need a suspension refresh! ;-)

Ah ..... even a factory fresh 993 on Monroe's would benefit from new dampers :thumb:

My refresh at CG in December came to £4,200. The existing PS9s were taken off the car and sent to Bilstein to be rebuilt (£750) so does not include a new set of shocks but did include a full set of new Michelin PS2s as the PZeros on the car, despite having plenty of tread, were causing vibration. New V arms, wishbones, bushes...

Car drives so much better and the pull to the left noted in the PPI, and not removed by a geo at RPM in Vauxhall has gone completely along with various other things which had manifested over time as the car had gone though various owners and workshops having stuff done.

The previous owner said to me it is the best handling car he had ever driven. I knew it needed a decent geo after 20 minutes (15 of those getting it though city traffic) so I guess it just depends on individuals, what they want, level of understanding, how ***** they are and what they are prepared to accept.

Agree with the comment further up about lack of depreciation makes these cars a fairly smart buy when you could drive a newer car at that value and take a £20k hit over a few years.

I'd suggest he try a 997.2 as well, might suit his needs better; 911 ownership at a lower cost...probably.

Bonners1 said:
I'd suggest he try a 997.2 as well, might suit his needs better; 911 ownership at a lower cost...probably.

I had assumed that newer cars had been discounted but thats the problem with a lack of info on the buyer.......

If it was me as a daily I'd take the 997.2 but unless you are OCD on the 993 the running costs would probably be higher and there would likely be some depreciation (but less than most cars).

So many factors we don't know other than he "wants" a 993. Have to assume that is the starting point, the question is all about it high gearing on debt a stupid idea to get it, I don't think it is in principle.

I love it when folk recommend (usually a 997 owner) trying a 997 when the buyer has their heart set on a 993. :grin:

rstaichi said:
I've got a mate who wants to get into a 993 it will be his first porsche, he's looking at spending 40k but only can do this through a finance deal, now i've tried to tell him don't but he's really keen to go ahead. Payment wise 2000k down and 795 p/m over 5 years thats one hell of a commitment in my books .. whats your views on this or will he be investing the cash?? Tough one! :?:

Alex, as many have pointed out there's a dearth of information in the OP, which is perfectly fine as he's simply looking to glean some insight for a friend, rather than share the guy....or gals most personal details.

You have assumed they have "their heart set" on a 993, which is possibly a stretch. I have assumed that as a first time Porsche buyer, with what appears to be limited funds/free cash they like the idea of a 911, have heard air cooled cars are highly desirable and less likely to depreciate than most so figured that would be a good entry point. I have also assumed the "buyer" is young'ish, let's say sub 45 and has limited 911 knowledge. Armed with my set of assumptions I then thought he might, after some investigation, prefer owning a newer car, which is less likely to strain his wallet in servicing and repairs over 5 yrs, particularly given his price point and some of the other comments on this matter, and would even come with an extendable warranty.

All my assumptions may be miles from the mark, but my recommendation was based on the above, not because I may, or may not think 997's are better than 993's. Horses for courses and all that.

Please, no need, apology accepted. :thumb:

:) :thumb:

Bonners1 said:
rstaichi said:
I've got a mate who wants to get into a 993 it will be his first porsche, he's looking at spending 40k but only can do this through a finance deal, now i've tried to tell him don't but he's really keen to go ahead. Payment wise 2000k down and 795 p/m over 5 years thats one hell of a commitment in my books .. whats your views on this or will he be investing the cash?? Tough one! :?:

Alex, as many have pointed out there's a dearth of information in the OP, which is perfectly fine as he's simply looking to glean some insight for a friend, rather than share the guy....or gals most personal details.

You have assumed they have "their heart set" on a 993, which is possibly a stretch. I have assumed that as a first time Porsche buyer, with what appears to be limited funds/free cash they like the idea of a 911, have heard air cooled cars are highly desirable and less likely to depreciate than most so figured that would be a good entry point. I have also assumed the "buyer" is young'ish, let's say sub 45 and has limited 911 knowledge. Armed with my set of assumptions I then thought he might, after some investigation, prefer owning a newer car, which is less likely to strain his wallet in servicing and repairs over 5 yrs, particularly given his price point and some of the other comments on this matter, and would even come with an extendable warranty.

All my assumptions may be miles from the mark, but my recommendation was based on the above, not because I may, or may not think 997's are better than 993's. Horses for courses and all that.

Please, no need, apology accepted. :thumb:

I agree other than I'm not sure running a 997 for 5 years would be cheaper than a 993 if you factor out the 993 ocd on this forum

Very true Jonttt, the bad news is the condition appears to be infectious. Who knew Porsche missed so many ways to optimise every single model they've developed.

Porsche should speak to some of our members when developing the next generation of cars. :grin:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back