Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why cant I just buy it????

Gee

I just dont get it. been a porschafile for years and have owmed plenty., At the moment i have a 996c4 and a 944 but now have found what looks like the perfect one for me... a stunning 2009 Caymen 3.4 with awesome spec 70k mls and around £23K.... It is a thing of beauty but just cant make myself go and buy it?????? just dont know why???? anyone else had the same issue for no good reason? :?: :?:

Nope. Get it bought before somebody else does!

yeh, I agonise over any luxury non essential purchase, I would be shifting the two you have got, then buy the cayman, but then I know my financial clout but don't know yours.

I am starting to like the cayman.

Palladium said:
I am starting to like the cayman.

:thumb: Mine must be a 981 2.7 PDK :roll:

yes I have been reading up, 2.7 for me aswell, 3.4 looks like a 996 repeat.

looking through on ebay, there are some stunners, you seem to get a lot for your money.

this one in red ebay item no, 172427233282

I humbly suggest you drive that or another Cayman / Boxster then decide .. as if that doesn,t convince you then nothing will.

981 Boxster though .. now thats a car .. sigh

One day ill win the lottery :D

Palladium said:

looking through on ebay, there are some stunners, you seem to get a lot for your money.

Hi Palladium: What's the problem with the 3.4?

tim993 said:
Palladium said:

Hi Palladium: What's the problem with the 3.4?

Bore scoring.

ive been told by several people that its another 996 timebomb, and that 2.7 is a far better unit, I would have to listen to that if I was buying one, could be ***** though, my 996 was trouble free.

2009 is crossover for gen 1 and gen 2. If it's a gen 1, it's far, far too much money given the 70k miles.

If it's a gen 2 it's OK pricing, but I've seen much lower mile cars for similar money occasionally.

It is a 2009 Caymen s sport in orange... and from a dealer, how common is bore scoring on the 3.4 cayman?

Gee said:
It is a 2009 Caymen s sport in orange... and from a dealer, how common is bore scoring on the 3.4 cayman?

Putting precise numbers on it is very hard to do.

However, as major engine faults go, it's uncomfortably widespread. I would bet all my world possessions that the incidence rate of bore scoring in the 3.4, 3.6 and 3.8 M97 (the gen 1 3.4 is M97) is roughly an order of magnitude greater (10x) than IMS failure was in the M96 engines.

The problem with the late 'Sport' model is that the market slaps a premium on any limited edition model, even if as in this case, it's really just a chintzed out trim model a la Vanden Plas / Ghia in the old days.

Anyway, for better or worse the upshot is that you can get a gen 2 with the new, much more reliable engine for that same or similar money.

Of course, when you come to sell the Sport, you will of course get some of that premium back. but in the meantime, you are running a far greater risk of a really bill bill compared to the gen 2 car.

This risk can be mitigated in various ways and substantially so if you do your homework right. You can have any car scoped prior to purchase. You can run an OPC warranty. And so forth.

But at the very least, it complicates the purchase and means you need to do a fair bit of homework if you want to make an informed purchase. I personally would very much favour a regular gen 2 over a gen 1 Sport for similar money. And by a very large margin.

Thanks for that pothole great info, will look for a 2.7 instead/ :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back