Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What was the price the last 993 Carerra's we being sold for?

GARY S

Monza
On the subject of 993 values who would have thought how things would have gone. Imagine 1998 going into a OPC and speaking to a salesman saying you wanted to buy a 911. In the showroom was an unregistered 993 and a 996. The prospective purchaser would have immediately be drawn to the 996 (and no doubt been influenced by the salesman) as being the "future" of Porsche. More powerful, latest technology from the "holy grail" of automotive engineering the prospective purchaser would not have given the 993 a second glance and bought the 996 model in the showroom or placed an order for one. Assuming the purchaser bought the car on the basis he would keep it for ever how gutted he must feel today when his 18 year old 3.4 996 is worth less that £10K while the 993 he didn't give a second glance to is worth £50L +!
As a matter of interest, does anyone know what a 993 Carrere 2 in "average" spec was selling for in 1998 as opposed to a 996? Were OPC's "discounting" stock of 993's to get rid of them?

It has been said before somewhere on here-
IIRC about £62,000 for a new 993 which is a bit over £100k today taking
inflation into account.

carkid said:
inflation into account.

So if you'd kept it from new you'd still have done your dough. Factor in the annual servicing, repairs, Insurance etc and you're balls deep. If however you'd only waited waited 12yrs to buy one you'd be onto a winner :roll:

However consider now if you could order a new GT car today. As one chap piped up on PH he 'owned' a GT4 for 20 minutes, but 16 grand is 16 grand :grin: And he let it go too cheap.

Zingari said:
carkid said:
inflation into account.

So if you'd kept it from new you'd still have done your dough. Factor in the annual servicing, repairs, Insurance etc and you're balls deep. If however you'd only waited waited 12yrs to buy one you'd be onto a winner :roll:

However consider now if you could order a new GT car today. As one chap piped up on PH he 'owned' a GT4 for 20 minutes, but 16 grand is 16 grand :grin: And he let it go too cheap.

Someone I know made about 30k on delivery day I believe if his figures are correct on his. Crazy

How about posting s/h prices from over 10 years ago?

My 1995 car was sold by Paragon in May 2003 for £31,995 - say 50% of new. 64k miles. It would not have been a 'classic' car, just a newish Porsche. Compared to a well-specced BMW 3 Series Touring, it would have been a good buy. Prices probably hit £30k+again in 2014.

What could £32k have bought you in 2003? Be prepared to weep: I hesitate to say '2.7 Carrera RS', but you probably could have. Now £350k+.

carkid said:
inflation into account.

Well, maybe £80k.

You had to be really into the 'brand' back in the day given that the 'architecture' of the interior and it's functionality was 10+yrs out of date :what:

You had to be really into the brand to buy the 996 interior :hand:

jonttt said:
You had to be really into the brand to buy the 996 interior :hand:

Ah yes but at the time when faced with 'digital climate control' and tactile switchesall in the right place to replace the 'nipples like organ stops' scattered all over the earlier cars dash that would have been a factor then.

Nowadays its the desire to go back to a past era hence more people collecting vinyl rather than CD/digital. We can buy 'new' anytime, however the 'last of the traditional shaped air-cooled 911' is not so easy.

:hand: Having said that I doubt your 'Lionel Blairs' or penny round collar flowered shirts will come back into style

^^^ you chaps do make me giggle.

I remember a chap at work who bought a 993 back in the late 90s as his first proper sports car. The 996 had just been launched and he simply couldn't afford the new car. He was constantly hankering after the 996 - simply because it was the newer model and therefore 'better'.

Looking at it now, the interior of the 993 just looks 'classic' and very, very classy. Whereas the that of the 996 looks just out of date. Nothing wrong with it of course, its simply that technology dates a car very quickly. Whereas the 993 has none of that, so has a more timeless look.

Zingari said:
Ah yes but at the time when faced with 'digital climate control' and tactile switchesall in the right place to replace the 'nipples like organ stops' scattered all over the earlier cars dash that would have been a factor then.

really? The 993 has so few controls and having lived with it for more than 6 months i know exactly where each button or switch is by feel without having to look. The fact that on most modern cars it is a case of 'look, aim, prod and hope...' - particularly with any vehicle unfortunate enough to be equipped with touch controls.

tim993 said:
months i know exactly where each button or switch is by feel without having to look. The fact that on most modern cars it is a case of 'look, aim, prod and hope...' - particularly with any vehicle unfortunate enough to be equipped with touch controls.

I used to know where the wife's nipples were but they move over time :what: Unless corrected :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back