Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My long overdue 964 project

Hi Steve. Redline did the geo on my Cayman and I was very pleased with the result.

John

Johnd52 said:
Hi Steve. Redline did the geo on my Cayman and I was very pleased with the result

Cheers John, thats good to know.

So, I'm making slow but steady progress. Slow mainly because I can't stand to have the car off the road.

I've managed to free up all of the major suspension bolts, some with quite a fight, and then loosely build up the dampers. I seem to have bought way more parts than I will need for the job :roll:

I thought I'd check my ride heights and corner weights before I change the suspension - just because I like data and have suitable kit around me. A few pics below and I'll publish the data when I get it typed up, quite surprised it was close to book values.

Corner%20Weights.jpeg

Next job is to get the seat piping repaired. I've found a chap on Facebook local to me who is going to replace the piping on the drivers seat and then re-colour the piping on both. I'm not doing anything else on the seats as I quite like the 'driven in' look and the condition is canny.

Seats.jpeg

My next choice is wheels, I've 'narrowed' the choice down to.....

Refurbished D90s (I'll do this anyway)
Fuchs - three choices of finish, maybe go for all silver or maybe silver petals
Outlaw 52 in gold/black - somewhat pricey but they are very pretty.
I have even thought about gold D90s!

Regardless of which, I'm going to go up an inch :lol:

Thats all for now.

Steve

Looking great Steve , just letting you know we have run out planned for Sunday 31st , hope you can make it . Keith

kp964 said:
Looking great Steve , just letting you know we have run out planned for Sunday 31st , hope you can make it . Keith

Oops, missed your post Kieth, haven't had a chance to get on here recently.

Bit of a set back with the work. I found a guy local to me who (claimed he) could replace the seat piping and recolour the rest of the piping. I gave him the back of the seat to take away but when he returned it, after too long, the leather was all puckered along the piping and the centre bit has gone all saggy. I had to pay him off.

It's so bad I can't bear to post a picture. Anyway, I've managed to massage it into an almost acceptable condition and it back in the car albeit now on the passenger side to hide it a bit.

Keep calm and carry on as the saying goes.

Steve

Mr Bacchus said:
kp964 said:

Oops, missed your post Kieth, haven't had a chance to get on here recently.

Bit of a set back with the work. I found a guy local to me who (claimed he) could replace the seat piping and recolour the rest of the piping. I gave him the back of the seat to take away but when he returned it, after too long, the leather was all puckered along the piping and the centre bit has gone all saggy. I had to pay him off.

It's so bad I can't bear to post a picture. Anyway, I've managed to massage it into an almost acceptable condition and it back in the car albeit now on the passenger side to hide it a bit.

Keep calm and carry on as the saying goes.

Steve

I feel for you. That would drive me nuts.

Bit of an update on progress as I did little during the summer months and only recently picked up pace.

- Replaced rear dampers, springs, top mounts etc etc.
- Replaced rear anti-roll bar bushes with SuperPro.
- Cleaned and painted rear anti-roll bar.
- Replaced rear drop links.
- Removed front suspension.
- Built up front struts, springs, new top mounts etc
- Replaced track rods
- Replaced front drop links
- Replacing ball joints now, NS came of easy, still fighting OS!
- Bought new wishbone bushes last year but discovered from my service history the current wishbones are only about 20k miles old. Yay!
- Decided that all fasteners removed would be replaced with new.
- Considering replacing the front diff driveshaft seals whilst I have access as I've a bit of a leak, bought the seals already.
- Bought another set of D90s from a lad that works at Absolute VW and posted on Facebook 964 club, they came with remarkably good tyres that I didn't particularly want when I placed my order. I'm going to experiment with wheel colour!!!

The application of PlusGas to the suspension parts during the summer months paid off as their was little fighting with nuts and bolts - but the steering parts I changed without prior planning fought very hard.

The cars been on axle stands for about 4 weeks now so I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, hopefully I can get it back together next weekend. Progress also hampered considerably by the arrival of a 10-week old Boston Terrier.

Also, had my second bi-annual valuation for the agreed value Insurance, now at 2.2 x what I paid in November 2012 - which ultimately increases my Insurance a tad but it's nice to know.

I've loads of pictures but most are how knackered the parts I removed are, I'll post a few when time permits.

Cheers
Steve

Wow, that's some work!

Hats off to you Steve, she's going to be great!

Chris

Had my front wishbone bushes replaced a while back with standard powerflex.. boy did I notice the difference straight away , really tightened up the front end .
Worth doing but 20k they should still be fine , lots done there Steve , well done . :thumb:

Hi All,

Hope you all had a nice Christmas.

I'm needing a bit of moral support here. Whilst I was replacing the bits I listed above I also decided to replace the following (as you do):

- front hubs (bought some nice refurbished ones)

- All brake discs and pads (fronts done, rears still to do).

I planned, and achieved, getting the car finished before Christmas day (with exception of rear discs) but now I have a problem.

Took the car out for first drive with the new shiny bits and I have got quite a nasty vibration under braking(pulsation is a better description I think). It's not a violent shudder but very noticeable. Its speed dependant meaning if I brake from higher speeds the pulse frequency is high and vice versa.

I know disc run-out could cause this, even a few microns. I've had the discs off a couple of times to check run out as best I can and, as best I can tell without a dial indicator, they seem okay (I'm measuring with a steel rule from a datum and can't measure any run out). I also checked run-out of the hubs.

I noticed as I was putting the discs back on this afternoon that the front anti-roll bar does not seem to be seated properly in the bush - and the bush is probably past its best. I didn't change these during the works as I could not see how to get access to the front-most clamp bolts without major work.

So, would the front anti-roll bar not seated cause this vibration? I can't be helping but I can't help thinking that something rotational is the cause?

Has anyone changed the front bushes and is it a PITA? :?

With having changed so many bits I'm a bit perplexed as to where to start other than the bush.

I was looking forward to getting a 4-wheel alignment in the next couple of days but have postponed that until I cure this :frustrated:

All the best

Steve

I would first have the discs checked out at a garage , ive had this twice with new discs, "Pagid" both times replacements fitted and it was ok . atb

Hi Steve,

You are certainly going to town, I'm going to give you the "Trigger's Broom Award", I've had it long enough :grin:

I would say discs would be the most likely culprit. Also, what pads are you using? I had some Pagid yellows (for track work) which were a bit iffy until they were fully warmed up. I changed them to a more suitable pad for roads.

However, I had a Subaru Impreza and the wobble under braking turned out to be a badly fitted suspension mount.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Steve, if the pulse through the pedal is only under braking I would start with the discsbut don't count out the front calipers either.

Check the discs are seating properly, what happens when you spin the disc, dose it jam in the pads?

I have two spare new front discs if you want to borrow them?

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the advice. In answer to some of your questions:

Paul - Pads are Brembo (for no particular reason)

Discs although not used, were bought second hand with a bunch of other parts, mainly the refurbished hubs.

Ian - I tried spinning the discs and there is a slight tight spot on both discs. I guess this is the cause but I don't yet know if it is the discs or the refurbished hubs that has run-out. Thanks for the offer of the discs. I may just get some new as I can just pop to Team Valley - time is of the essence.

Today I re-seated the anti-roll bar without any change to the judder. Think I might try replacing the discs first as this is quite easy even if it costs a little bit.

I'm hoping it's not the hubs but thankfully I still have the originals (all other parts removed have been binned).

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back