Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to pronounce Porsche

madalaa said:
T8 said:
Porsch for me

Porsche for The Germans

Porscha for the Americans

...... sorry Terry ...... but in German lingo ...... the e is pronounced as (a) ...... so it's Porsch(a) ....... so I think you have it "arse about face" ....... but ...... hey - ho ..... ;)

........ and a stiffy to the rest of you ignorant twats ...... ;)

So is it pronounced Mad alaa, Madaler, madaular, Ma' dailia. :wink: or in cockeneese cabby speak is it Medaila. :floor: :floor: :floor:

plynchy said:
MaxA said:
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say Porsche properly (Por/sche), but then we get all muddled and inconsistent and call it a nine-eleven rather than a neun-elf.

The chances are that no-one in the Anglophone world pronounces too many of the car brand names properly, including BMW, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Citroen, Skoda, Nissan or Subaru...
:frustrated:

I'm British, why would I pronounce it in German? :dont know:

Why wouldn't you pronounce it in German? :?

The answer is in my question.

Same reason I pronounce BMW series cars in English.

We are a cosmopolitan lot, us Brits.

So much of our language is "borrowed", and we still retain the "correct" pronunciation.

In fact the list is far too long to cut and paste.

But then, likewise, we are also happy to "borrow" a word from another language and ride roughshod over the original pronunciation.

So I guess there is no right or wrong

... except to say, much like you wouldn't labour received pronunciation on a dark Friday night after closing hours in Glasgow, for fear of a kiss, you may wish to be circumspect with your Portia purely dependent on your surroundings.

Stay safe! :thumb:

Easily solved - English is the 3rd most commonly spoken language, German is 11th so its PORSCH not Porsh-uh!

Germany`s former currency Deutsche Mark was pronounced as DOYTSH Mark not Doytsh-uh Mark!

Even the Yanks get it wrong its JAGUAR not Jagwah! and MAZDA not Marsda!

Would you really want your want your car badged as PORSCH-UH?

Del.

Time is a strange thing !

Back in the mid 70's when my Porsche interest began - EVERYONE said Porsh

Within that last 10 years its now Porscha/uh

Its a bit like Ikea - who now seem to have a new pronunciation too ! (Ikaya ?)

tomato tomato, potato potato etc etc LOL

in the end - who cares - I've got a PORSCHE :D

Delanor said:
Even the Yanks get it wrong its JAGUAR not Jagwah!

Actually, it's us that gets that one wrong too - it's pronounced "Yagwarh" in it's native lands - the Tupian (Amazon) word, yaguara "beast",

Actually to quote Austin Powers its:

Attachments

• post_42_0_78023900_1370292701_876.jpg
    post_42_0_78023900_1370292701_876.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,875
The English way for me.

I have called it a number of other things over the years as well, such as "fvkin thing" and "piece of sh1te"

I have notice Braun has become Brown as well.

Very peculiar !!

A recent visit to Bavaria all the Germans I met prounounced it "Porschee"

:dont know:

........ well that's Bavaria for you ...... although my German is limited ........ half the time I could never understand a fck what this lot were saying ...... lol ......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back