Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Home made RS shift rod

rob_watti

Trainee
Having just carried out the simple RS short shift modification I thought I would have a go at making an RS shift rod.

I didn't fancy cutting and welding the rod as if it all went Pete Tong I'd be stuck having to buy a new RS Shift rod for many £££ so the aim was to make it a fully bolt on/reversible modification.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the final product. As you can see it's nice and simple and just bolts to the existing rod where the old rubber mounting did. The gearbox shaft slides perfectly inside the new Universal joint. If anything i'd say the size of the Universal joint is a bit of an over kill but it was the only one i could find with a 16mm ID hole for the gearbox shaft.

In the future i might make another one using a jig made from the original part and order a smaller universal joint and drill it out to 16mm to make it a little tidier.

Anyway it feels good on the road. You definitely feel a little more vibration through the gear stick but its worth it for the more direct feel in my opinion.

Cheers
Rob

Attachments

• img_4339_863.jpg
    img_4339_863.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 1,807
  • img_4340_550.jpg
    img_4340_550.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 1,807
Impressive work, well done.

Presumably this means that you still have the old ball and cup joint on the other end?

One of the things I quite liked about the FD golden rod was that it did away with the ball and cup replacing it with a much tighter rose joint fixed with a nylock nut.

The ball/cup on my OE rod was pretty worn.

Having fitted an FD part I have my original shift rod if you want it for conversion BTW?

Great handy work there. I see FD Motorsporrs are now stocking a new kit, the '964/993 C2 FDM"”Rothsport Short Shift Kit'. Pricey at $595.

Very refined for a Yorkshire man "Pete Tong" you usually get "Tit's up". Nice job, you'll be inudated with requests.

yes i do still have the ball and cup joint. I had some play in it so replaced the plastic cup part but still have some play. i may look into replacing the front part with a rose joint as it's over £75 for the front bracket with the ball.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back