Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 997 Carrera S progress..

Mark - Just called taperpro to order some spacers but the say they do not do 9mm spacers? Where did you get your 9mm spacers from and also what length bolts do I need for 9mm front and 12mm rear?

Thanks

Chris

Just found some 9mm spacers and bolts porscheshop. What length bolts did you get for the 12mm spacers?

I have used 37mm bolts on 12mm spacers

OP, your car is beautiful. very very clean and that STANCE!

Riccardo said:
Congratulations on the new purchase (a whole new world of pain, but looks like you enjoy projects, so its ideal). I'll wager that you end up selling both the 964 and 997 only to get a manual aircooled 911 in the end! :hand:

You could be onto a winner with that one... I am in love with the 964 even with the tip, which I HATED in the 997, it seems to work well with the 964 but had it have been a manual, I could see me selling all my other cars. My heart is set on a lifelong dream of a F355, sadly the prices of those are growing out of reach for a cash sale so it doesn't look as likely as they once did :( Unless someone wants to give me £80k for the 997 and 964 and I'll still clean them every week for 2 years ;) ;)

Thanks for the comments on the cars chaps, always appreciated!

The 964 was one of those cars I would have always liked but I never thought to buy one, this came up by chance from a guy I met through work, I put the idea of selling it to him and he agreed, so I bought it, I do love a clean up project so it is perfect, my girlfriend loves it so I think once it has had it's paint job, I'll let her use it when I'm not. :)

The 9mm spacers came from EuroCup GT, great service and quality! I think it was 45mm bolts which I had spare.

In terms of updates, it has all been quiet on the 997 front, work, holiday and 964 mean it has simply sat tucked away with the only odd outing to keep it alive.

I have a similar thread to this in the 964 forum if anyone is interested on my progress on that

964 progress thread

My only pics of the 997 since getting the 964, with the 964 trying to steal the limelight!

16791591319_79dfde4cff_z.jpg
[/url]

16952906579_9e851048c7_z.jpg
[/url]

17175055921_3ff917188c_z.jpg
[/url]

Not been back long from my mates house who has a totally immaculate 964 Aniversary in Viola with about 29k original on it, he has just fitted some 18" speedline replica cups on it, looked absolutely stunning in the sunshine.
And what a wonderful sound when fired up, it should be at the Fastlane Car show at Hexham later on this month.............a sight to behold i can asssure you :D

Sounds lovely Jim, I do have a new found love for the 964, something about it and those super soft comfortable seats!!

Nothing much to report really, been a bit busy but I have managed to fit some GT3 brake ducts and while the wheels were off, polished away the "porsche" text on the calipers and replaced it with some vinyl stickers.

I also wired in an rocker switch for the light in the front boot compartment, a friend told me that his old 997 used to drain the battery as the light would randomly come on.. I put a camera in the boot and left it for a few hours and to my surprise, on a time lapse film, the light was coming on all by itself, then turning off! 9E had also told me of this and a possible reason to my Porsche battery drain.. Since doing this, coupled with a new BOSCH battery (Superior to the ***** Porsche MOLL battery), the car fires up faster and never once has shown low voltage. Please check your front compartment lights!

Standard ducts
17056305093_a39c66f5d4_z.jpg

Comparison
17054126664_5b0f11a7b6_z.jpg

GT3's
17489083920_565574e7d9_z.jpg

I will probably never notice the difference, I had hoped that the car would feel like a GT3 and magically sprout a roll cage, wing, more power etc etc but it hasn't happened as yet.

Generic looking Brembo calipers
17056355433_f1fe316b36_z.jpg

Back to being Porsche calipers
17489124580_a4f420100e_z.jpg

I took the car to Brands Hatch last weekend to watch a friend race, on the way there, the car turned 30! :congrats:

17676709971_66cd24bf10_z.jpg

Hopefully I'll be bringing this along to the Ace Cafe meet on Monday, may get the g/f to bring the 964 along also.

Hi Guys,

Only a minor update, I haven't used the car much at all due to being abroad a fair bit for work and when I have had moment to do bits and pieces, the 964 has swallowed my attention, thankfully that's in the bodyshop now. :)

Aside from adding 600 miles to the car since my last update, all I have done is had the wheels refurbished and fitted a set of N2 Michelin PS2's. My favourite tyre :)

I chose to take my wheels to a local firm called Premier Wheels, based in Redhill. I wanted a company who would do a proper job of stripping the wheels and powder coating the wheels all over, not just the faces. A few friends have had wheels done by these guys and the work is flawless and guaranteed.

So, wheels off and loaded up along with the new tyres in my work horse, dropped off at Premier wheels, chose my colour and was told to come back in 3 days. Perfect :)

The 997 was left up on axle stands for a few days, giving me an opportunity to give some bits a clean.

24768044096_dbd0e2caed_z.jpg

24794287645_f4b120c470_z.jpg

Wheels returned and inspected, absolutely perfect. Not a single blemish on the face or inside, just what I wanted. A quick coat of Qtechniq C5 to seal them up was given all over.

24700812241_4ec99a76e9_z.jpg

24700824071_f90189c4e8_z.jpg

24768073646_c0cf16864e_z.jpg

All done :)

24166177694_5bcddee793_z.jpg

24166196804_8b48577588_z.jpg

24700863371_b1a6fc53c8_z.jpg

Really happy with how they came out and looking forward to an improvement in feel once the tyres are worn in, the car is where I want now so I'm hoping to get some track days done this year, finally!

Aside from some alcantara bits and pieces, mainly centre console and possibly the seat backs, I don't think I'll be changing anything else.
I've bought oil to give it an annual interim oil change, it has only done 900 miles since the last one, a bit of a shame to waste the oil but it's something I do regardless of mileage.

Cheers!

Just to keep this up to date, I performed an interim oil change yesterday, bright an early before the 27 degree heat restricted me to the vicinity of a BBQ under the influence of much alcohol.

I decided, while the car is of a relatively low mileage and had no sign of bore scoring the last time it was checked (1500 miles ago), I would make the switch to the oil everyone is talking about. I have thought about it for a while and had my reservations as I normally sit in the camp that goes with whatever a manufacturer says. Due to this manufacturer being cheap with the M97 cylinder liners, I thought I would follow many others and make the switch while I am still in a good position, the oil is a heavier weight and contains nano particles, I am no expert but both of these should contribute to prolonging the life of the engine so I hear.

10 litres in total, the car requires c. 9 litres
26820138461_d5d04d489e_z.jpg

I set about performing the engine oil change, I was slightly anxious as I had previously fitted a magnetic sump plug and planned to open up the oil filter in expectation that I would find many filings. Assuming they would be ferrous, either way, there was nothing on the magnet of concern and nothing within the filter at all, totally clean to the eye.

26281950474_01676c3868_z.jpg

Bad picture, this is the filter element opened up

26283103383_775d08ce3b_z.jpg

I was over the moon to not find anything, nothing or very minor amounts on the sump plug which is totally normal and nothing visible in the filter element.

Old oil was still pretty clean

26853817806_9661d03123_z.jpg

Performed the swap and went for a drive, the car feels as it always has but the engine seems to sound much smoother, less mechanical noise.

All said and done, very happy to find zero metal filings within the oil as seen in some other internet threads and the engine sounds healthier than ever, very happy!

Cheers

About time I give this a little update.

15774959287_8c622abcf5_z.jpg

DYNO JOY!! 356.7BHP!! WOW!!

That was a combination of oil, coilpacks and new exhaust gasket (was a leak!). Overjoyed with that, Charlie said that must have been the highest C2S 997 he has ever seen.

Not much has changed but I have only managed to do just shy of 1000 miles since the oil change above and can report that the oil level hasn't decreased what so ever since putting in the Millers oil, where as I would have had to with the original Mobil 1. :thumbs:

The only new additions are a front number plate (stick on), simply because I'm coming of the age where I just can't be bothered with possible police hassle so function is stepping in over fashion and I bought a replacement interior door pull as the original had some minor markings.

Other than those, I have just used the car when I can, a mixture of working a way and distractions in the form of other cars result in spreading the time I get to use each car, no bad thing really.

The car will probably remain as is now, aside from a replacement passenger side cat, it needs nothing and does what I want.

I have toyed with the idea of selling this but I don't think I am ready to let go of it as yet. A few ideas for replacements keep coming back, some will require me to sell the 964 as well, some will put money in the bank. Just not 100% sure what to do as yet but I do love this thing, perfect for the road and entirely practical and wants for nothing.

Old and new handle

30953872453_b2e32abfa3_z.jpg

Took the car to see Top Gear being filmed so took a snap on the air field

31761822685_e856553095_z.jpg

The Stuttgart stable mates, the Boxster is for sale. Great car but not for me.

31645011451_b01d5dc77f_z.jpg

I had to shuffle my cars around so let the girlfriend drive the 997 as I wanted to see it on the move, it really is something else to see your own car on the move, if you haven't seen yours, you should, was really pleased, as sad as that is.

30951534153_2f6ff4496c_z.jpg

31388933690_11f3443a72_z.jpg

Still not 100% legal but certainly less likely to be hassled by the police

31723918586_e21d8e0e39_z.jpg

Just a case of keeping her clean from now on :worship:

Your attention to detail is first class. I wish I enjoyed cleaning as much as you do!

Do you use the Millers in any other cars? I read about it a few years ago and was interested in it.

So you've done all that work and now you're thinking of selling?

isysman said:
Your attention to detail is first class. I wish I enjoyed cleaning as much as you do!

Do you use the Millers in any other cars? I read about it a few years ago and was interested in it.

So you've done all that work and now you're thinking of selling?

Thanks, quite a compliment coming from you! :worship: I wish I didn't like it so much, takes up a lot of time and effort but I do enjoy it.

The 997 is the only car I use it in at the moment but I do intend on using it in my MX5 once I finish a turbo conversion and it is currently the favorite for the 964 which is due a full service at the next chance, although I'm sure that will consume (leak) it still.
The absence of any oil consumption as well as the engine sounding smoother sealed the deal so to speak. I initially went with it due to being the latest in oil technology and to increase longevity/reduce risk of the infamous bore scoring, in addition to the likes of Hartech approval and various forum dyno comparisons showing this oil to increase BHP, it made it a no brainer and I am someone that normally follows the manufacturer guidelines to a T!

I get itchy feet, I like to tinker and when I run out of things to do, I start to look elsewhere, I can't just settle and there are a few cars I'd like to tick off the list while I can, before kids and a bigger mortgage :? :lock: The 997 was always my stepping stone into the world of Porsche, if it was a GT3, which is one of my options, I'd probably settle...maybe..

If not, I'd like more alcantara, an LSD and Bilstein damptronics which would take this to the next level, that would be the cherry on top. I've played it safe and maintained a road only choice of basic mods for this. I should substitute this for use on one of my track days next year, it would probably open another chapter, lets see! :dont know:

I saw an article a few years ago where they Dyno tested a Focus ST and then replaced the oil with Millers and did a second Dyno and it had increased in horsepower. Ive always been interested in it since then but never got round to putting it in my cars.

Well if you do change I hope you'll get another Porsche.

Which Boxster is it? I'm surprised the missus doesn't want it.

Totally forgot to reply.

The oil is meant to increase HP but I couldn't feel a difference, perhaps if the oil in the car had covered 10,000 miles but whenever I drain oil out, it has never done much mileage. Just through the internet hype surrounding the Millers oil, I'll stick with it. I plan on using it in an old MX5 which I've just stuck a turbo on, because of the hype of course. :dont know:
I did return to the dyno since my last disappointing result but after a combination of things, I did see an increase so I can't put it down to the oil, but it was one of the changes since the low reading. Coilpacks, plugs, exhaust gasket and maf clean.

I think it will be, I have my sites set on a 997 Gen 1 GT3 but I want the right spec as I think it will be a long term keeper, ceramics, buckets and rear cage, white, grey or silver. I've been totally distracted with the 964 and now my MX5 turbo project but once they're done, I'll get the 997 out and make a decision on what to do, keep or sell. It does everything it needs to for me, a totally immaculate and healthy example but I can't help but dream of a GT3. I'll have to get it out soon as it's due a major service in March :)

It was a gen2 987 Boxster S, a great car but she needed more space.

Cheers!

What a great thread, very interesting and informative.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back