Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911tom's 3.8l engine build

That's looking great Tom :)

Really looking forward to seeing it in action next year.

Thanks for the nice comment everyone :D

I have been sent some more photos today and there looks to have been some good progress made in the last few days. I'll do another update at the end of next week. :thumb:

Glad to hear its coming along well, will be an animal when complete :thumb:

Can you dm how much your tip box build costs?

Im thinking about going that way and want to do the costing.

Si

Keep up the updates, great to see what is going on.

MC

Yes, wow indeed!

Looks amazing... :mrgreen:

Superb, love these threads. :worship:

Only ever built straight 4's, the F6 is a complex beast! :?:

Very impressive Tom.

Would happily meet you at FS when you pick her up....for a passenger ride :D

:thumb:

Looking great Tom! :worship: :) :)

How are you going to mount your cold air feeds? Didn't you before have the cones sat right above the Intercoolers? Do the Wagner shrouds have an inlet pipe for you to steal that feed or is there something else planned?

TwinBoost said:
Looking great Tom! :worship: :) :)

How are you going to mount your cold air feeds? Didn't you before have the cones sat right above the Intercoolers? Do the Wagner shrouds have an inlet pipe for you to steal that feed or is there something else planned?

A very good question and not one I'm yet decided on. I do not want cut the ducts on top of the coolers. There are other cons to the fender intakes. It is hard to mount the cone without it obscuring the intercooler. Also you are essentially stealing air from your intercoolers to feed your intake (matts thought on it). At the moment I'm thinking stay mafless and fit a 997 turbo air box with a pipe either side to each turbo. That way the pipe runs are still fairly short and direct (no silly squashed pipes like there is on the stock 996 turbo to the rhs turbo). Not completely decided yet though.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Anyone got any experience of schrick sport cams?

911tom said:

I think GTR Nick may have fitted them to his 997.1 turbo when he built it with a stroker 3.8 like you.

One of the things on the turbo mezger that can be improved is its really not that rewarding to rev out. If you keep it between 4000rpm and 6500 rpm sure its devastating but there's very little reward power wise to rev past 6500 rpm.

A GT3 top end as per Kens earlier post with more aggressive cams makes the top end more entertaining and rewarding when revving to 8500 rpm.

Worth having a look at this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UMCyNre9gc

:thumbs:

911tom said:

Schrick make some good cams, have used them before in BMWs but have no Porsche experience with them. Generally considered a good company, with decent profile designers.

Hi Tom

this sounds exciting,look forward to hearing about the finished product

Matt is the man

Schrick have a great reputation in tuning for VW's the stuff they did for the vr6 was considered the best and their cams for the r32 are on the money,wasnt cheap mind

I am sure Matt has already told you, but if I was looking for cam's for the turbo I would go to FVD,given the complexity of the cam they arent cheap but you can guarantee they will work when I got my engine rebuilt FVD were really helpful.They have tested a lot of this stuff and have close connections with porsche. in fact a quick websearch suggests FVD are using schrick.

good luck

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back