Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Auto to manual conversion....worth it?

kevsta

I think i know the answer, but say if you found a nice tip, that you had factored an engine rebuild on, is this even doable when the engines dropped?

I assume its alot more involved than just sourcing the box?

I considered this until I saw a second hand manual gearbox going for £4500, just not worth it for how I use the car and I've grown to really like it being a tip as it's no race car...
I think it could be done, the fitting of a clutch pedal would probably be the hardest bit :floor:

Holy smoke, thats a hefty price for gearbox.

I guess its a case of "just buy a manual you moron"...which i accept with full dignity.

its not necessary a 'no' but depends on the budget and what you find

if you find a great condition car and comes at the 'right' price but just with the 'wrong' gearbox then ok it will probably cost somewhere close to 10k to convert but if the budget allows and you get out with a converted car but with the perfect spec then ok worth it i think.

for example its cheaper to convert a car than to fix and repaint a shell that's having corrosion problems i think

I looked into this a few years ago when 964's where relatively cheap - there is/was a document online that listed all the parts needed to do the conversion. Doable but will depend upon the cost of the conversion versus the price disparity between a manual & tip. When I was looking a tip was £13k and a C2 around £16k so it didn't make sense.

I suppose it depends on the vision you have for the car......i use my cars not very much but if i found one i would paying out for everything as i am mechanically retarded.

By the time i got an engine rebuild done per say, by the time you get the box, i am sure you would have to sort the pedals, sensors, speedo sensor, clutch and flywheel and bound to be loads of other bits, it would add an easy £10k to a possible £20k spend plus the cost of the car.

For a simple man like me who would be driving it to waitrose to get some pork shoulder steaks to marinate and sherry trifle, it would make no sense at all.

Which has ample appeal to me.

My quest will continue......
:bandit:

kevsta said:
Holy smoke, thats a hefty price for gearbox.

I guess its a case of "just buy a manual you moron"...which i accept with full dignity.

After reading this i think i feel a bit of a numpty :frustrated:

I've just spent 'almost' and i say almost double this going from a C4 to a C2 on my 964... Manual gearboxes are becoming harder to find and with all the bits you need it adds up. Furthermore there is the fabrication to the tunnel, pedals and other internal mods that need to be done...

Have i been ripped off? Not really when you see the work that goes into it...
Is it worth it? Depends what you want from the car and what you are trying to achieve.
Will i see my money back? Probably not!!!
:thumbs:

That sounds very interesting.....would love to see pics of that when you are done. 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back