Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I've Been C&G'd

About 7 hours of tweaking. Mines was the best case scenario though, having required no parts. Iirc it may have been the first car not to need anything.

To me that makes the transformation even more impressive, as it can't be put down to new components...

harryk said:
About 7 hours of tweaking. Mines was the best case scenario though, having required no parts. Iirc it may have been the first car not to need anything.

To me that makes the transformation even more impressive, as it can't be put down to new components...

My bill was £430.00 for a whole day to setup mine.

Mind you I had already spent circa £7.5K on refurbing EVERYTHING before I got there. :grin:

Nice family business, daughter, mum, dad and son inlaw.

I think the basic geo price is a lot more now than 400. I could of taken mine to somewhere like Jas which is 5 mins from me. However if your going to shell out upwards of 6k then you don't want any nagging doubts that everything has been covered. These guys only do suspension they are absolute experts

Surinder Randhawa said:
I think the basic geo price is a lot more now than 400. I could of taken mine to somewhere like Jas which is 5 mins from me. However if your going to shell out upwards of 6k then you don't want any nagging doubts that everything has been covered. These guys only do suspension they are absolute experts

Mine was sorted summer 2015. The cost of £430 was less than quoted because it didn't require corner weights being adjusted. Other than the weights it was a full geo setup as everything had been replaced and needed setup.

As stated OP, my car was there whilst yours was.

They are indeed excellent. I'm sending my 550 to them in the spring for an overhaul: not likely to be £400 on that occasion!

I guess I could of fitted the shocks and springs myself which would of saved about 5hrs labour. The steering rack was an unexpected cost about 4 hrs labour but at least now I know everything has been fully checked over. They had brand new gt4's in their too getting full geos completed for track use. You would of thought they would be good to go out of the box 🤔

Whilst Chris was driving my car, I mentioned to him that mine understeered in slower corners to the extent I could aim the wiper posts at the apex and then drift out.

Chris explained that many manufacturers including Porsche set up their cars to understeer as that's safer for the majority of drivers. Perhaps that's true also for the GT4?

Anyhow, Chris can dial out understeer if that's what you want, at the expense of increased tyre wear on the edge, rather than even wear across the whole tyre width.

Was that your gt4 with the big wing looked like a real track weapon. had the same issue with my lotus. Within 1 week of owning it from new it was fully geo'd again to dial out the understeer

Unfortunately not mine. However I'm more than happy to slum it in a 993 :thumb:

My C4 is a bit of a dinosaur compared to my friend's 2.7 Boxter that I drove many moons ago but I love the 993 precisely for that reason. After Chris worked his magic it's slightly less Jurassic now but highly engaging, especially now that it doesn't understeer.

tyinsky said:
Dropped mine off today. Test drive with Pete enlightening.

I knew I'd seen that 993 4S with the "bug" plate somewhere!

I was thoroughly C&G'd on Oct 31st for healthcheck, Nov 11th & 21st for follow up - rear dampers/coffin arms, front inner toe end plus many tweaks and test drives. Not cheap, craftsmanship like theirs is unlikely to be, but it's still excellent value IMO.

Not wanting to preach to the choir but I was in CG earlier this week getting my C4S checked over.

It transpired that the geometry was actually pretty good but a couple of parts needed replacing following Pete's test drive and initial review. So I left the car with them for the day, Holly took me to the station to go into Brum for a few hours (definitely the worst part of the day, Brum not Holly's driving), to then collect me from the station when the car was close to being done.

Communication of the issues throughout the day was great, every effort being made to make the repairs as cost efficient as possible, then explaining what had been done and sight of the knackered parts at the end. Time was given to explain the benefits of the repairs to my car or answer questions on the other car being worked on at the time. Then a chance to take the car out for a spin, Pete driving initially before handing over to me. Although the car was not in a bad state at the start, the repairs made certainly made a significant difference to how the car handled and gave me more confidence that the car was in good shape.

So to echo what seemingly everyone else has said before, the CG guys and gals get a big thumbs up from me, they have enormous passion and have made a great car greater. I would have no hesitation to go back and see them again.

MJA911 said:
tyinsky said:
Dropped mine off today. Test drive with Pete enlightening.

I knew I'd seen that 993 4S with the "bug" plate somewhere!

I was thoroughly C&G'd on Oct 31st for healthcheck, Nov 11th & 21st for follow up - rear dampers/coffin arms, front inner toe end plus many tweaks and test drives. Not cheap, craftsmanship like theirs is unlikely to be, but it's still excellent value IMO.

Back in my dirty paws now :)

261emuo.jpg

6p7r4g.jpg

Well, aren't those guys good! Incredible level of detail, communication and knowledge. Car is much improved, and looking at all the existing measurements compared to how it is now set up makes me wonder how many others could benefit from a check over after 20-years of wear and different people/mechanics/tyre fitters doing various things that affect the suspension either independently of the whole set up, or simply without the full understanding of the car (multi-link etc).

My car was pulling left, had terrible shaking through the steering wheel that only seemed to get worse after rebalancing the front wheels some weeks back while in France, the handling overall was far too twitchy for me and compared to other Porsches I've owned and driven. It followed surface imperfections and needed constant input on back roads.

Having only bought the car this year, the PPI highlighted the pull, it has since been into RGA in Vauxhall for quite a bit of work to be put right and they did adjust the geometry/wheel alignment while working through my list from the inspection, and it did improve but was still not where I knew it should be.

The car has Bilstein PS9s on it, and these were a selling point on the advert but luckily I was pragmatic on them realising they will have been on the car for some time. Turns out 14-years, fronts set to full hard, rears full soft, only one adjuster still able to turn, worn wishbone bushes, play in the rear V arms where the ball joint on one side was shot, front tyres past their 'use by' date even though the tread said otherwise. Just about every measurement on the 'before' sheet was either out or inconsistent with the other side. :grin:

All of it now sorted, Bilstein refurbed the dampers which was a big saving on a new set (now look old on the outside but are brand new on the inside), V arms came via Hartech (did both so they match up), tyres were P-Zeros so even though the fronts were the problem there is now a nice set of PS2s on each corner.

Different car now. :)

Fantastic news. I love it when you find people that are so knowledgeable and passionate about what they do, in any form of business. Recently met a high-end shoemaker just like this and was fascinated by him- spent about an hour just talking to him.

My car's in hibernation now, but I can't wait for spring to really get some miles in the car following the transformation!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back