Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 M777 MJH Crazy Video

MisterCorn said:
From all of the negative responses to the Porsche driver on here I am guessing that none of you have ever had a 5 year old in the car who needs the loo?

MC

Ours is only three and newly potty trained..... the call of 'need peepee' from the back always makes me wish i'd bought a turbo! :D

MisterCorn said:
From all of the negative responses to the Porsche driver on here I am guessing that none of you have ever had a 5 year old in the car who needs the loo?

MC

Nope. But I had a similar 'episode' after a mutton tikkha vindaloo and wanted feel my own porcelain :what:

Crimp a Length! said:
Filmed in the mid to late 90's

Would have been 1998 at the earliest, as thats a 1998/1999 model R1.

toohey said:
Robertb said:
A bit marginal, to say the least, particularly the undertake at -6.38.

Bike speedo is KMH though, not that it makes it a lot better.

Must have been a long time ago, judging by the other cars on the road.

I beg to differ - If that is the case then flat out in 6th (which you see at 4.44) 170 indicated is only 105mph on a litre sports bike :notagree: ...... now given that its a slightly older model R1 unless i miss counted and he was in second at that point its in MPH......

Just by way of comparisons a 2005 Kawasaki ZX10r will, on standard gearing, get over 100mph in first :eek:

Ive the same model of R1 in my garage. Its a 1998/1999 one, which was the first R1 and some say the maddest. It will hit 115mph on the rev limiter in 2nd gear, and flat out, well, apparently, will hit high 180`s (on the speedo). Utterly brilliantly quick and fast handling bike, as quick on the road as any newer bike, hence why ive had mine for over 15 years now and not swapped it for anything newer.

toohey said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Ours is only three and newly potty trained..... the call of 'need peepee' from the back always makes me wish i'd bought a turbo! :D

My 3 year old is just being potty trained and the run to nursery with him in the back of my turbo last week was nerve racking due to worrying about the above!

Fortunately we made it without any incidences.

toohey said:
Robertb said:
A bit marginal, to say the least, particularly the undertake at -6.38.

Bike speedo is KMH though, not that it makes it a lot better.

Must have been a long time ago, judging by the other cars on the road.

I beg to differ - If that is the case then flat out in 6th (which you see at 4.44) 170 indicated is only 105mph on a litre sports bike :notagree: ...... now given that its a slightly older model R1 unless i miss counted and he was in second at that point its in MPH......

Just by way of comparisons a 2005 Kawasaki ZX10r will, on standard gearing, get over 100mph in first :eek:

Youre right on watching again. However, there is something unconvincing about the 911's acceleration above 100mph, for a standard car. Looks far too quick, given it would take around 6-7 secs to get from 60-100, you'd expect 100-160 to take a lot longer than it does in the vid.

Smoke and mirrors, as a forum illuminati would say.

From a bikers perspective, I had a look through the full video with sound on earlier and I wouldnt say its smoke & mirrors but due to the race exhaust on the R1 it does sound a lot quicker than it really is. Over the first half of the video the R1 rider is showing remarkable restraint. The rev counter needle barely goes above 12 o clock most of the time and he`s shifting up very early. Its as if he`s basically running the bike in he`s going so slow. Sometimes it sounds like its going fast but then you look at the speedo and its only doing 50mph. I really dont know how he managed to keep it so slow as anyone whose ridden a sportsbike like an R1 will know that you barely even have to touch the throttle and your in 3 figure speeds. As mentioned earlier this R1 can hit 115 in 2nd gear.

The R1 guy does start opening it up a little bit more half way through, but even then he seldom hits the red line. There were endless opportunities when he could have just wacked the throttle open and blown the porsche away, but he kept backing off - im guessing because he was just the camera bike and needed to keep behind the porsche as his job was just to film it. At one point another R1 over takes and tries to encourage the camera bike to get moving!

Towards the end of the video its like another bloke is riding the R1 as he does start to give it some stick. Maybe because at that point he`s in front of the porsche and can see the road is clear.

Whilst riding like that in traffic is never a good idea, what did really scare me the most though was how close to the porsche the R1 bloke was riding. Had the porsche stacked it or slammed his brakes on, the R1 would have had nowhere to go.

So all in all, rather than be a Porsche vs R1 video, to me it looks like its just a Porsche driving like a looney with the R1 being just a camera bike following and filming it.

This has been tutted-over many times over the years.

I wouldn't want to comment on the driving on a public road, but anyone who thinks the Porsche was in any way damaged or devalued by driving it 'hard' or 'properly' seems to have missed the point of a 911 :floor:

One of the comments on the video (from about 1 month ago) implies that the car is still around, and owned by the commenters friends dad.

Love to know whether he has seen the video!

RobIpswichUK said:
One of the comments on the video (from about 1 month ago) implies that the car is still around, and owned by the commenters friends dad.

Love to know whether he has seen the video!

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the reg no. & car are insured (on Motor Insurance Database) which would imply still around and in use.

C.

I think that is a old video as I have seen it yonks who, it is some of the worse driving that I have seen, the guy needs to be locked up big time 🤬

You'll have a job on......isn't he dead now? I read he died a few years ago. Used to be a racing driver.

Surprised the first major issue hasn't been addressed here....

That's no Turbo by my reckoning! :lol:

The return of Marty Wild said:
Surprised the first major issue hasn't been addressed here....

That's no Turbo by my reckoning! :lol:

Await the beards comments, it did seem a bit too quick though for a 276bhp standard 993, the bike speedo was up to 165 at one point and its not as though it was run up on a long motorway. Ive tried maxing cars and it seems to take miles to get there.

I must admit, I figured the 993 to be pretty spritely at points! Did the roundabouts nice and flat too!

That said, forcing yourself a third lane is criminally insane. Would like more details on the driver.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back