Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Wheel Query

I have the exact same case as "monster"...same steering wheels, manual car, multifunction both steering wheels. The only difference is the my car is 997 turbo 2007 and montser's looks like 2009. Direct swap, without changing the electronics module results in multifunction not working, and the horn honks every time I remove the key from the ignition. I also bought the 99761328901 but it creates more problems than the ones it solves...
Probably I don't know how to correctly program the new module. I enable in the "Coding adaptation" of piwis the correct functions Multifunction, cruise control etc.
FYI I own a PIWIS so (with the right guidance :?: ) theoretically I can code anything my local Porsche dealer can.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Did you buy the one for sale from Boxsterbits by any chance?

I had the page saved for when I got home from work & by that time it was gone!

:pc:

No I bought a new part from Porsche, I checked the same add a few days ago but the item was not available either...

MPOWER said:
I have the exact same case as "monster"...same steering wheels, manual car, multifunction both steering wheels. The only difference is the my car is 997 turbo 2007 and montser's looks like 2009. Direct swap, without changing the electronics module results in multifunction not working, and the horn honks every time I remove the key from the ignition. I also bought the 99761328901 but it creates more problems than the ones it solves...
Probably I don't know how to correctly program the new module. I enable in the "Coding adaptation" of piwis the correct functions Multifunction, cruise control etc.
FYI I own a PIWIS so (with the right guidance :?: ) theoretically I can code anything my local Porsche dealer can.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

MPOWER, Sorry I can't help you there as the OPC programmed mine, I was with the tech when he did it, and it didn't take him long, maybe 10 mins! - the steering angle sensor also needs to be reset at the same time, could it be this catching you out!

Keep plugging away at it and I'm sure you'll get there yourself if no one else comes along with any more info in the meantime. - You could try calling around a few of the more friendly Indy's, they may help you over the phone.

My car is actually a 2005 Carrera S - so a few years older than yours :thumb:

Loving this conversion. I currently have a 997.1 with a multi jobby wheel and much prefer the newer wheel. Will I run into issues if I install a non-multi functional one? im about to do a stereo upgrade and dont really care too much about buttons on the wheel. Can i just leave the connectors unplugged or will it throw wobblies and dash codes?

Cheers

edit - found this thread which answers my question http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=115648

Robx said:
Loving this conversion. I currently have a 997.1 with a multi jobby wheel and much prefer the newer wheel. Will I run into issues if I install a non-multi functional one? im about to do a stereo upgrade and dont really care too much about buttons on the wheel. Can i just leave the connectors unplugged or will it throw wobblies and dash codes?

Cheers

edit - found this thread which answers my question http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=115648

Rob, let me know if you need any help with the wheel mod :thumb: :grin:

I managed to deal with PASM and PSM issues after installing the new steering wheel.
Now I have to find out why the cruise control and OBC switches are dead, and then make the mulifunction buttons work... :dont know:(one problem at a time...) :oops:

I have a 997.2 C2s PDK with a m/f steering wheel.

I'd like to retain the m/f and add paddles because I am unconvinced by the PDK buttons at the moment.

I have had an idea about making the left PDK button change down (whichever way I move it), and similarly make the right button only change up which is one solution but having read this thread I have a new idea.....

Is a PDK wheel different to a Manual wheel?

i.e. can I put the Manual facia on a PDK wheel to get rid of the PDK buttons and then add Merc paddles to get the best of all worlds?

160dmb said:
I have a 997.2 C2s PDK with a m/f steering wheel.

I'd like to retain the m/f and add paddles because I am unconvinced by the PDK buttons at the moment.

I have had an idea about making the left PDK button change down (whichever way I move it), and similarly make the right button only change up which is one solution but having read this thread I have a new idea.....

Is a PDK wheel different to a Manual wheel?

i.e. can I put the Manual facia on a PDK wheel to get rid of the PDK buttons and then add Merc paddles to get the best of all worlds?

Yes you could or buy a manual wheel with mf and then add the merc or techart paddle kit .

Or if you wanted to get rid of the MF you could fit a 997.2/991 sports wheel with the paddles .

The fascias are often not easy to remove and you might end up breaking your old fascia to get it off .

your airbag would fit all those options. :grin: :thumb:

Thank you for clarifying that the airbag fits all.

The non m/f 991 wheel with paddles is very nice but it seems a bit crazy to lose the m/f functionality but I guess if I had to choose m/f or paddles I'd probably go with the later (better looking) wheel with paddles.

Just in an effort to "have my cake and eat it I wondered if could put a mannual facia on a PDK wheel then add (Merc) paddles

160dmb said:
Thank you for clarifying that the airbag fits all.

The non m/f 991 wheel with paddles is very nice but it seems a bit crazy to lose the m/f functionality but I guess if I had to choose m/f or paddles I'd probably go with the later (better looking) wheel with paddles.

Just in an effort to "have my cake and eat it I wondered if could put a mannual facia on a PDK wheel then add (Merc) paddles

You certainly could have the cake and eat it but with a bit of effort. the 991 sports wheel is nice and there are a few on ebay around the £600 and your gen2 airbag would fit , what they did on the 991 is to move the MF to a stork on the lights indicator etc. cluster and I have not read if anyone has been able to migrate that MF stork into a 997.2

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

I'm considering swapping my multi function tip wheel (triangle centre airbag) for the newer gen 2 wheel (round airbag) my question is, my car is a 2009 turbo gen so called 1.5 so i have PCM 3. will the control unit be the later type in my car and save the £250? just trying to weigh up if it's worth £350 for the airbag £250 for the module and the cost to reprogram.

Cheers

silvermilnec said:
Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

I'm considering swapping my multi function tip wheel (triangle centre airbag) for the newer gen 2 wheel (round airbag) my question is, my car is a 2009 turbo gen so called 1.5 so i have PCM 3. will the control unit be the later type in my car and save the £250? just trying to weigh up if it's worth £350 for the airbag £250 for the module and the cost to reprogram.

Cheers

I'd expect you'll be OK. I did this on my 2007 turbo and I only had to change the wheel and airbag.

If you want to be 100% sure you have the correct steering module it is part number 997.613.289.01 that you need get your indy to whip your steering wheel off and have a look or do it yourself it would only cost a few quid for them to do it or the OPC might be able to tell you the part number based on your vin. if it is the above number you are good to go if not then you will probably need the get the module at £230 plus the wheel and airbag the airbags are £350 from several places and the wheels vary but try Mark at stirlings on here as he has a few gen 2 tip wheels and is the best price because he changes many over to the gen2/991 sport one with the flappy paddle and is left with the old gen 2 ones so is happy to let them go at a good price . :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back