Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel refurb - having the airbag covered in leather

mohitos

Does anyone have any experience or success having the original airbag covered in leather?

I have used Jack at Royal steering wheels a number of times, but he won't re-cover the airbag. I'm loathed to have the rim (ahem) recovered and see the contrast between new leather and the vinyl airbag. So only really interested to have the whole lot done, with a Porsche embossed crest on the airbag.

Any pointers?

I recall a thread where this was done on a 996 against Royal's advice and it did not go well. It seems to be fraught with difficulty as the airbag is a safety device and the covering has to rip in a specific way if the airbag triggers.

All I can suggest is to buy an OE one, but I suspect megabucks.

mohitos

I remember the thread too (it was a 996), something about the badge being removed so that the leather could be nicely applied,,,,HOWEVER the bacge is not easily removed and therefore the leather trim around the badge might not look so nice ? IE a bit of a bodge up to work the leather around the badge

That nick is easily repairable. My father filled a much bigger hole on one of his classic Merc leather seats and it's almost invisible now. The nick is obviously a great bargaining tool too. ;)

C.

Why don't you get your rim seen to and get someone to give your bag a quick blow...with trim "paint", obviously ;-)

My dash was sprayed with something or other when the seats were refurbed, as it was faded in places. I'm sure the same could be applied to the airbag to make it match a newly trimmed wheel.

(If it's any consolation, I removed the the really bad double entendre's from this post!)

That damage would be easy to fix with some filler, particularly if you are recolouring at the same time.

As mentioned and imho its not a good idear to recover it .. the cover is weakened on the inside so as in deployment it can split the cover and fully deploy .

it would be a tricky job for any trimmer to do correctly and the implications of not getting it right would be failure to deploy correctly in the event of an accident and injury to the driver .. i doubt any trimmer would take it on .

I expect you'e all right about recovering. One respected trimmer has said they'd do it, but the price quoted was off the scale, and as good as they are, I'm not convinced it will look quite right.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back