Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The journey to my ideal 993...

Mate it's looking great 👍 that rear spoiler really suits the darker colours looked a bit naff on mine.. did you get the sports cat fitted in the end ? It's next on my list . Carnewal does inserts

we will have to meet up soon maybe at jzm one Saturday

Gubsta, car looks great and well done on creating something different!

Can I ask what road that is?.... I am just finishing a Defender project and looking to get some photos done!

Thanks

That looks brilliant

Really like the bonnet good choice.

:thumb:

Surinder Randhawa said:
Mate it's looking great 👍 that rear spoiler really suits the darker colours looked a bit naff on mine.. did you get the sports cat fitted in the end ? It's next on my list . Carnewal does inserts

Thanks - yours is looking good too - so much better after the CG session! We should meet up soon.

Not got the sports cats on - took the car to Bedford to have her noise tested... and.... on a 101dB static limit I was.... 100.9dB!! So first track day booked on sat! That was with the clutch engaged so hopefully can drop a smidgen off that.

Got a few things to do before the trackday. Have a carbon heater bypass pipe and the necessary CCU fooling relay to install. Also am trying to procure some shorter springs for the front shocks so I can drop the front a tad. The spring perches are on the bottom but I still have an annoying gap between the wheel and the arch. I'll try and do a proper post update once all that is done.

Brief update - couldn't face drilling the carbon bonnet or - somehow - the scuttle (a la 964) for washer jets, so rigged something up temporarily so I can see where I'm going...

Got this bad boy from eBay:
29858812324_97ae0fa655_c.jpg

A quick adaption of the existing piping and a ghetto single wiper conversion later (more weight saved!) ....

29858810374_90bd91cea7_c.jpg

.... ended up with this - which you can see from this shot:

30701958361_24591807ec_c.jpg

Re: Sunroof

Gubsta said:
KMA880 said:
Gubsta

What an inspiration... Out of curiosity who did the sunroof weld and are they local to the Bucks area...

Tuthills in Banbury so reasonably local. Richard Tuthill is a super guy to deal with and they build all kinds of 911s. On the inside they do an alcantara headlining which hides the weld line and it fits in the lip at the roof edges. Can post up a few more pictures if you are interested?
yes please , wanting to get mine done - is it completely invisible on outside - cost ? 'Tis

Gubsta said:
KMA880 said:
Gubsta

What an inspiration... Out of curiosity who did the sunroof weld and are they local to the Bucks area...

Tuthills in Banbury so reasonably local. Richard Tuthill is a super guy to deal with and they build all kinds of 911s. On the inside they do an alcantara headlining which hides the weld line and it fits in the lip at the roof edges. Can post up a few more pictures if you are interested?
yes please , wanting to get mine done - is it completely invisible on outside - cost ? 'Tis

JRS said:
Gubsta said:
KMA880 said:
Gubsta

Same here, also reduces a whole lotta weight and wiring... Can you PM me some numbers....

Liking the minimal garage too!

:thumbs:

JRS said:
wanting to get mine done - is it completely invisible on outside - cost ? 'Tis

Yes - you wouldn't know the car wasn't without a sunroof from the factory on the outside. Inside an alcantara headliner covers the weldline. As for costs not sure as I had it done as part of a full engine out glass out refurb - the price of which I can barely say out loud.

Few pics here from a few angles:

30910732660_fc07408741_c.jpg

30470670103_8a75cde7a9_c.jpg

30456887044_be65243b78_c.jpg

So trackday prep - shortened front springs (Eibach - 180mm 40Nmm) fitted, geo completed and the car was looking good! Flew through the static noise test with the clutch depressed (which knocked off over 2.5dB compared to the test with it engaged). After seeing a 991 GT3 get black flagged for noise I still shortshifted past the mics though.

30470913393_d141bfd4c9_c.jpg

Foggy and delayed start to the day - if I'm honest more cars there then I would have liked in the morning too. My first time at Bedford and I apologise to anybody who came across me in the first session - ahem.

31133723281_e973e44be9_c.jpg

I'm too interested in my own self preservation to be very good at track driving but the car was superb - it was quite happy out for 20-25 min sessions with no brake fade - and that is on a standard set up only with uprated fluid.

Damn wish I could of joined you it would of been a good comparison against mine with the extra weight. I was on the reserve list but looks like it was a full season. Never mind let me know when you book again . Car looks really menacing now how did it compare with the other porkers ?

Surinder Randhawa said:
Damn wish I could of joined you it would of been a good comparison against mine with the extra weight. I was on the reserve list but looks like it was a full season. Never mind let me know when you book again . Car looks really menacing now how did it compare with the other porkers ?

Didn't really get too much chance to go head to head - there was a Cayman R and a GT3 there (but the GT3 lasted one session before being black flagged for noise) that was with a standard exhaust too... The chap who owned it was understandably grumpy!

So a bit of an update - the car pretty much stayed tucked up over winter and a got a few odd jobs done. Finally installed the carbon heater bypass and CCU fooling relay - pics below.

I can confirm that even in the depths of winter there is sufficient heat in the cabin - only thing is that it's slightly slower to heat up. All good then and more weight saved.

One of these bypass modules
30973794893_83e43befae_c.jpg

One of these:
31636136932_b2acaf7f8c_c.jpg

Remove number 5 and replace with the bypass module.
31667405521_67e717635b_c.jpg

In situ:
31746704896_4e8acec0a0_c.jpg

and... after all that I forgot to take a picture of the final install. But can confirm it works ok, no warning lights and everything functions as it should. Another useful 9kg saved off the back.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back