Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Common VW/Audi parts

maldren

Reading the threads on the ignition and door locks prompted the thought 'is it worth having a thread listing parts used elsewhere within VAG that are significantly cheaper than the Porsche equivalent', ideally listing the other cars that use them.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I'll produce a tidier format as the list grows.

Demort's rule of thumb: 996.614.321.00 then its a Porsche part . If its like .. 058 133 843 then its a VW part number

Door microswitches
Heater motor
Suspension top mounts - Porsche 997?!?

There is no Porsche ignition switch part number as the switch is no longer available you have to buy the complete lock assembly the switch is removable and replaced by the VW pattern part. 1998 - 2003 Ignition switch part number 4A0 905 849B. (pattern part)

Air con compressor. Do we know where else this is used?

Bosch crank position sensor on a Mercedes Vito will fit a 996/997 3.6 engine. (to be confirmed)

The Bosch voltage regulator for the alternator can be sourced as a vw/ seat/ audi/ skoda part. I can't give a definitive part number, but cross referencing your existing one should give some oe and pattern options. Just because they look the same doesn't mean they are interchangeable however. In fact I reckon the whole alternator is probably interchangeable with one from something like a 1.9tdi (rated at 150 amps), clutch pulley and all, but this requires confirmation.

Headlight washer jets - the Porsche headlight washer housing cracks and the jets get blown out the Porsche part is approx` £138 but the BMW 3 Series E46 washer nozzle jet assembly jets can be removed from their housing and used as replacements I did this using second hand parts for £15.

996 Door lock RH 8N2837016B (Polo part?)

Mike

good idea.

when people add things could you update the first post so we are not trawling 10 pages of messages?

Good idea, yes happy to update it

Basic rule of thumb .. if you can remove or see the item then if the part number is something like 997.614.321.00 then its a prorsche part .

If its like .. 058 133 843 then its a VW part number ..

Not sure if this site is of any use ..

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/vw-part-number-and-audi-part-numbers-explained-in-etka/

i see both numbers on items i change and know depending on this number who supplys it.

Porsche numbers on vw parts though .. hmm .. im not sure there .. nothing i know of though .

Excellent Idea :thumb:

I've often wondered myself if there was any cross over parts

Have started a list of VW cross referenced parts starting with the ignition switch.

Del.

I believe the Bosch crank position sensor on a Mercedes Vito will fit a 996/997 3.6 engine. Not tried it but I was thinking of buying one as a spare part and the cross ref came up in a search.

Edit. Not VAG but hopefully in the spirit

Just a thought - is it worth making this a Sticky...??

Osh

Jim45 said:
Good idea - always looking to save a few $$$ (in Oz we get fleeced on parts locally - and cars tbh).

On the flip side when searching for parts on "Easy-Square" a lot of the smaller items are cheaper than the VW equivalent???

example: http://www.easy-square.com/searchresults/99907314301

Cheers

Jim.

Jim ,easy square looks an interesting site I was not aware of :thumb:
oh yes and welcome be nice to see a pic of your P&J

A few years ago i owned a range rover l322 with a sh8gged heater control unit. Main dealer wanted £300 for a genuine rover part. Knowing bmw supplied the engine, identical to the one in an x5, i trotted down to my local bimma dealer , friendly parts guy showd me the parts exploded diagram of the cooling system of the x5 and we successfully identified the part i required.

Bmw and rover part number were different but i took the punt at only £150 and ordered the part. It turned up 2 days later, gave it to my spanner man who confirmed it was exactly what we needed.

We were both stunned that i managed to save 50% with a bit of running about and a couple of phonecalls !

my point being..start with a logical suspicion the part may be interchangable, get hold of the parts diagram for more certainty , get down to the dealer and order it . Worse case if its no go , you refund it and maybe lose 5% to 10% handling fee . Oh and it was bosch that made the part for land rover and bmw !

That's what started me off with his thread - I looked at replacing the heater fan/motor and it is £345 on the Design911 site.

I bought an equivalent part from Europarts for £45, the Valeo part was only a little dearer.

Hopefully we can all save here.

Mike

Phil 997 said:
Jim45 said:
Good idea - always looking to save a few $$$ (in Oz we get fleeced on parts locally - and cars tbh).

On the flip side when searching for parts on "Easy-Square" a lot of the smaller items are cheaper than the VW equivalent???

example: http://www.easy-square.com/searchresults/99907314301

Cheers

Jim.

Jim ,easy square looks an interesting site I was not aware of :thumb:
oh yes and welcome be nice to see a pic of your P&J

Pic here http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1259197#1259197 - will do more soon...

Cheers Jim. (Sorry thread hijack!).

The Bosch voltage regulator for the alternator can be sourced as a vw/ seat/ audi/ skoda part. I can't give a definitive part number, but cross referencing your existing one should give some oe and pattern options. Just because they look the same doesn't mean they are interchangeable however.

In fact I reckon the whole alternator is probably interchangeable with one from something like a 1.9tdi (rated at 150 amps), clutch pulley and all, but this requires confirmation.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back