Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

hyundai tucson 2007 130k miles

Palladium

Indianapolis
hi,

my friend has the above, it started billowing smoke from the exhaust like you wouldn't believe.

We managed to get it to a garage, who said it was the turbo that was knackered and the dpf would also need to be changed, the quote was enormous.

So we took it to a neighbouring garage who said much the same, he said we could leave it at the garage until we make arrangements to pick it up.

Anyway, my friend went back today to get some bits from the car, the garage owner seemed most interested in how much the scrapman would give him, and that he could give him the same and get his apprentice on it to fix it.

I am trying to look out for my mate, I think the vehicle isn't as knackered as people are saying, I wondered if anyone thinks its just a blocked dpf.

Why would it be 3500 pounds to fix it, the engine runs ok, the smoke comes after a minute or two.

He told me that prior to the big pile of smoke, the car had smelt 'fumy' for a few weeks,

any suggestions,

palladium.

My understanding is that if the turbo is knackered on a diesel it will barely move.

I would imagine a fault with the turbo or the DPF would trigger an engine light.

Has it defo got a DPF?... they were only a requirement from '09.

Any warning lights?

Has anyone plugged it into a diagnostic machine yet?

If it drives fine bar the smoke then my guess would be DPF, Lambda Sensor or Cat related. If the Turbo was knackered then there would be a serious loss of power on acceleration.

C.

Check to see if it is a variable vane turbo. These can stick and cause problems without a total loss of power.

MC

......... do not drive it any further, being turbo diesel if the turbo is losing oil it can lead to a runaway engine. It sounds like it could be the turbo bushings/seals on the hot side of the turbo have given up. If this happens on the cold side of the turbo then hot oil can be pumped into the cylinders resulting in the engine running away......

https://youtu.be/Q0ulzATjyhM?t=43s

you can't switch them off when this happens they continue until there is no more oil in the sump..... :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back