Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 C2 Restoration

paul284pt said:
Hi Mike,
Trigger's broom is taking shape nicely. I don't see why I should take all the stick :floor:

Cheers,
Paul

Haha!
But I'm keeping all the old heads and handles in the loft though.
I think it's important to keep your broom mods reversible, with value of brooms as they are. :thumb:

Mange tout!

Mike

Replacement door speakers with same grilles

Mondrian said:
Audison is very good and on par with Hertz, which one did you get?

They are the Audison AP 5 model. £85.00 a pair.

I'm going to keep the original tweeters. The car has the original Blaupunkt pre-amp underneath the drivers seat from which the door speakers are fed. So this hopefully is going to be about replacing the original main door speakers without removing the door cards (again!)

I prised off the grilles carefully with a screwdriver (with a bit of card underneath so I didn't mark the door covering.
Unscrewed the speakers (4 screws) and managed to remove the lower two without having to take off the door pocket... a bit tight but I had a small ratchet thing that takes a phillips screw head.

So spend 30 mins fiddling today.... I wanted use some half decent replacement speakers and still use the original grilles and outer mounts (lets call them collars) It wasn't major surgery and could do another set in half the time.

Someone may chip in here and tell me that a certain speaker may fit perfectly without any work but I'm the one that turned up at the car audio shop without the original speakers or collars!

Posted some photos that may be of interest.

- The black 'collars' are the factory ones that were fitted between the door card and the old factory Blaupunkt speakers.

- The inside diameter of the collars was a little tight for the speakers, so I marked a guide line around the inside a couple of millimetres wide. I then cut this out (carefully!) with a coping saw as show in the photo.

- The 'lugs' (with the screw holes) on the new speakers are more angular than the originals so I ground out the rounded shape to a more angular version to enable them to fit flush.

- Last thing was that the screw holes on the new speakers needed to be opened up nearer the edge to enable the screws to go through easily and also I so I won't have to re-drill the door/cards and can use the original holes. This I did with a small abrasive burr.

So... hopefully Sunday when I get chance to fit these and the new Porsche classic radio it will all work fine.

( I can hardly return the speakers if it doesn't work now I've modified them!)

... Watch this space! :thumb:

Anyone know of the best / easiest photo hosting site so I don't have to plonk the photos at the end of my post like this please??

Attachments

• img_8762_115.jpg
    img_8762_115.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 5,128
  • img_8759_208.jpg
    img_8759_208.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 5,128
  • img_8757_129.jpg
    img_8757_129.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 5,128
  • img_8763_340.jpg
    img_8763_340.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 5,128
  • img_8756_232.jpg
    img_8756_232.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 5,128
  • img_8765_103.jpg
    img_8765_103.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 5,128
M said:
igaffz said:
I'm running a de cat and cup pipe with no problems they sound great. You need to find a tunnel to drive through!!

That's what I want to hear! :thumb:
I need to make a decision about the exhaust before I consider playing with the engines performance.

Anyone suggest the best replacement door (main) speakers that will take the factory grilles??

Oh look .... Santa came early today!
I went for the decat pipe and cup pipe on my now sold '90 964 Targa. Nice and beefy but not rediculously loud. :thumb:

Scholester said:
I went for the decat pipe and cup pipe on my now sold '90 964 Targa. Nice and beefy but not rediculously loud. :thumb:

That's the route I'll go.
Just been out for breakfast run in the Norfolk Coast, got headache....seriously!
:hammer:

De cat and cup here also. A great sound that never gets too loud.
The only watch out with this set up is the force that is put onto the secondary silencer which is prone to splitting with the pressure created.
My secondary box was a victim but I have stuck with this set up as it sounds great.

Ghengis said:
De cat and cup here also. A great sound that never gets too loud.
The only watch out with this set up is the force that is put onto the secondary silencer which is prone to splitting with the pressure created.
My secondary box was a victim but I have stuck with this set up as it sounds great.

Hi
Thanks for this. I have read about the pressure on the final silencer though.....!

Cheers
M

Hi

This might be a bit boring but I thought I'd post the info about these speakers as I searched for ages to find out about suitable replacements that would use the original screw holes and speaker collars.

Anyhow... yes they fitted perfectly without removing anything from the doors.

Then onto fitting the new Porsche classic radio:

Went in really easily with a reassuring 'click'

BUT! No sound yet...The original white plug (photo 3) doesn't fit the bloody socket on the unit. :frustrated: I'm sure it won't be rocket science to sort out.

IMHO looks great, I used the plain black knobs of the two pairs that come in the box. Although at the moment it's an expensive radio blanking fascia!

Had a great day though, nice coastal run and a petrolhead breakfast with a few Porsche mates.

Good fun following my friends 60's 911S! ... other nice cars with us including a GT2 RS :worship: (Just a kettle....)

Hi guys

Just got in after routing the Classic radio microphone cable, the 30 min job (I thought) turned into a much longer job as it was a real swine fishing the cable from under the top of the dash to the back of the unit. I've routed the GPS antenna cable to the rear parcel shelf.... that was piece of cake in comparison. All done now!

Brake ducts now fitted. Something else ticked off the to do list.

Yep, cut holes in the front bumper ... !

Just waiting on the Ohlins and the Brembos to arrive hopefully in a few weeks ........... :thumb:

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back