Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Indy PPI Altrincham

s70rjw said:
FZP said:
I'm sure that you had your heart set on it and are somewhat disappointed. Imagine how disappointed you would have been if you found out after the purchase what was the actual state of the car.
The good news is that you can continue your tyre kicking with great anticipation of finding the perfect one.

The euphoria of not having wasted thousands outweighs any disappointment believe me!!
I've just spoken to Simon at Cameron's about a Gen 2 997 S they have advertised.I ts a 450 mile round trip if I go down on Thursday to look at it.
I don't mind putting the effort in for the right car, so the search continues...
I did the same journey, albeit from Doncaster at the time. It's quite a drive and the last part from the M25 seems to take forever. They had a lovely car with a nice selection of options, no nav or BT which was a deal breaker. £35k @ 19k miles seems quite the bargain now, even with the missing bits.

I told you Mike is VERY thorough! Best nigh on £300 you spent on an inspection! He knows his stuff. I always remember what might be described as (one of) his mantra's:

"Never judge these cars shiny side up"

That's why I never remark on any car from photos such as "nice car" because photos show it shiny side up.

You'll be amazed people buy these cars and after a few weeks take them to Mike for an inspection and need smelling salts to come around after he highlights defects and they realize they bought a pig in a poke!

The other scenario is a car bought without an inspection and then months later comes in for a service and its time to bring out the smelling salts to bring the owner round from the fright and cost of what it needs!

Well, imagine some punter will buy that car cos it looks great. Lucky you that you are wise before parting with your cash.

Move on in the search now.

Mike is my Indy on my doorstep and he shows me cars on the ramp and gearboxes/engines when I pop round for a coffee and chat, and that's why I know there are a lot of dogs out there that look great shiny side up!

cheshire911 said:
You'll be amazed people buy these cars and after a few weeks take them to Mike for an inspection and need smelling salts to come around after he highlights defects and they realize they bought a pig in a poke!
What sort of idiot would do a thing like that? :grin:

Anyway, after I'd had the timing cover leak fixed (simple, but time consuming) and the gearbox overhauled (not so simple and even more time consuming, and also a common issue on both 996 and 7 turbo and GT cars) I am content in the knowledge that Mike says my car is exceptionally well-sorted.

At least my own inspection of bodywork was right and also borne out by the detailers at Staffordshire Car Care who fastidiously measured paint before starting work on the car.

But yes, the moral of the story is that the first 'P' in PPI stands for 'pre' and not 'post'.

It takes all kinds to make a World! Mike will tell you people have an inspection by him after they bought or a few months after purchase have it serviced having bought without and then faint when he tells them all the work needed on top of the service!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back