Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Indy PPI Altrincham

Mike's inspection IS comprehensive.

(He did the inspection on my 996 Turbo when I bought it)

cheshire911 said:
Mike's inspection IS comprehensive.

(He did the inspection on my 996 Turbo when I bought it)

Thanks,hoping all stacks up tomorrow . :D

Sport & Classic is a top garage, very well respected. Always very busy. You may struggle to get in at short notice as he's very popular (always a good sign). If he can't fit you in I use Wilmslow so I can vouch for them.

isysman said:
Sport & Classic is a top garage, very well respected. Always very busy. You may struggle to get in at short notice as he's very popular (always a good sign). If he can't fit you in I use Wilmslow so I can vouch for them.

Cheers. I've got a backup so fingers crossed. Thanks for your help :thumb:

Yes, I should have highlighted that Mike is always very busy and access can be difficult if time is tight.

OPC will usually fit you in quicker - more ramps/more technicians etc.
The OPC is the 111 point inspection ( around £216 inc vat). But if you go down that route, ask if you can be shown the car on the ramp and a technician walk you throw the inspection. They may not allow that, but ask.

Mike walked me through the whole car, even pulled out the headlights and lifted the carpets and inspected all welds and panels to look for accident damage and gave me a printout of the ECU download and explained what it all meant. He is ex- OPC Wilmslow so will also use the 111-point checklist and others that he has added after seeing so many cars as they age coming in to him for service and maintenance.

Both choices are good. On an older car (not suitable for OPC warranty or where you don't intend to get an OPC warranty after purchase) my preference would be to use Mike every time.

Let us know how you get on.

cheshire911 said:
Yes, I should have highlighted that Mike is always very busy and access can be difficult if time is tight.

OPC will usually fit you in quicker - more ramps/more technicians etc.
The OPC is the 111 point inspection ( around £216 inc vat). But if you go down that route, ask if you can be shown the car on the ramp and a technician walk you throw the inspection. They may not allow that, but ask.

Mike walked me through the whole car, even pulled out the headlights and lifted the carpets and inspected all welds and panels to look for accident damage and gave me a printout of the ECU download and explained what it all meant. He is ex- OPC Wilmslow so will also use the 111-point checklist and others that he has added after seeing so many cars as they age coming in to him for service and maintenance.

Both choices are good. On an older car (not suitable for OPC warranty or where you don't intend to get an OPC warranty after purchase) my preference would be to use Mike every time.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks.
This is the car I'm looking at:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&body-type=Coupe&price-to=45000&page=2

2 owner car with full FPSH .

Spoke to Mike this morning who was able to fit the car in tomorrow morning. Dealer agreed to take the car over this afternoon so it can be checked from cold. I'm genuinely impressed with Porsche and Classic. Not only were they able to fit me in with little notice, Mike was happy to explain the inspection and suggested a borescope was unecessary. I'm hoping for good news tomorrow.
:wink:

I hope it all checks out as it does look lovely. I was in Altrincham yesterday and saw a 997.2 C4S in white. Not the best cared for example ad either had a dud engine mount, a twisted exhaust tip, or a bent exhaust. Hard to tell.
But I could see a rough gem underneath

Well that PPI was money well spent. It revealed repaired accident damage to rear quarter, paint to the nearside. Three discs and pads all round. Front shocks and rear arms required replacement. Interior had been out, including door and rear interior panels. Exhaust clamps and brackets all required replacing, suggesting the plugs haven't been replaced recently. Mike estimated £5 k of maintenance to put it right, however that's on top of its status as a badly repaired car. Thanks for your recommendation guys, youved saved me thousands.

Bob :thumb:

:what: The ad does mention 'The purist's 911' :roll:

I'm sure that you had your heart set on it and are somewhat disappointed. Imagine how disappointed you would have been if you found out after the purchase what was the actual state of the car.
The good news is that you can continue your tyre kicking with great anticipation of finding the perfect one.

FZP said:
I'm sure that you had your heart set on it and are somewhat disappointed. Imagine how disappointed you would have been if you found out after the purchase what was the actual state of the car.
The good news is that you can continue your tyre kicking with great anticipation of finding the perfect one.

The euphoria of not having wasted thousands outweighs any disappointment believe me!!
I've just spoken to Simon at Cameron's about a Gen 2 997 S they have advertised.I ts a 450 mile round trip if I go down on Thursday to look at it.
I don't mind putting the effort in for the right car, so the search continues...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back