Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ray Stobbs 964

jagman2

As a lot of you will know a good friend of many people on here, Ray Stobbs, passed away in January. He owned a lovely polar silver 964. This car will shortly be for sale by Ray's wife Lynn, after she has used it for a couple of Porsche Club events. So what do we think it is worth?
It is a 1990 Carrera 2 Manual with cup alloys and mirror's and plastic intakes and has done 160,000 miles. It has had a complete top end re build last year carried out by Ray, who was somewhat of a perfectionist. It has also had a full bare metal respray, apart from the roof. He replaced all the springs and dampers and is lower than standard. It has a comprehensive history. Ray had been meticulously going through the car as his intention was to keep it for a long time. The car was used by Porsche for display purposed along with other silver 911's, for the launch of the 991 at Silverstone, Goodwood and several other events. Each time he was loaned a brand new Porsche delivered on a transporter.If you Google his name it comes up with a few relevant articles.Prices seem all over the place at the moment, what I am looking for is constructive views on a price that the car could be expected to sell for not an over inflated asking price.
Thanks in advance.
Keith

difficult time to price things (brexit does seem to be having a real impact at this moment), a few c2 manual coupes have hung around in the low 30's for a while recently (one still on pistonheads), have the head/barrels been upgraded to the later design? Is the baremetal respray documented/photographed or at a known shop? perhaps advertised in london area it would find a quicker buyer?

Thanks for the reply
Don't know if the heads were upgraded but I know ray took a lot of pictures of the engine rebuild and of the respray. He actually stripped the car down and then had it professionally painted.
The view at the moment, from varies people I have spoken too is that £40-£45K would be in the right area.

Regards

Keith

£40 to £45k sounds spot on to me. I think you'd get the lower end of that from a well respected dealer like 911 virgin, assuming the bodywork is in tip top condition from the respray and the engine pulls hard. Higher end of that range if selling private perhaps.

The 160k miles may put lots of buyers off though and could mean readjusting expectations, price-wise. If it were me I'd put it on the market at 46k and go from there....

I recently just sold my 964 c4 manual with 117k miles to trade, hence why I feel in a position to offer an opinion. It was just before brexit though!

Did Ray also have all the leather re-done in red :dont know:

It's a £40k+ car not least because it's straight and has had the work done by someone who wanted it done right :thumb:

Mileage will always trouble some buyers but when you consider what's been done it shouldn't as we had someone on our Dinslaken gig with a targa on 200k :eek: and it was a beaut.

Pitch at mid 40 bags and take it from there. It's a C2 after all and good ones don't come along often.

Thanks for the replies.

The leather in Ray's car is black not red!

I will see what Ray's widow Lynn says at the weekend and take it from there.
It would probably be easier for her if she sold it too a dealer, but she also wants to get a reasonable price and not give it away.

Thanks again

Keith

Attachments

• 001_1_2_172.jpg
    001_1_2_172.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 9,378
I'm sure given the circumstances someone like roly at eporsch or jzm would give you a steer on where things will sell currently?

whilst i would agree (and hope you get) something like mid low 40's was the recent price, i fear things have taken an almighty smack post brexit - jzm dropping prices by the day on similar ballpark price cars, albeit different era. low 30s cars appearing on ph and sticking around for a bit, the same low 40's cars on for months and now lowering prices.

judging by the consumer confidence figures out today this isn't imagined and the level the closed london property funds in the news are trading at implies central london property has dropped 10% in a few weeks. I'm not trying to be some sort of doom merchant, just wouldn't want you to list it high and then get caught buy events into holding a car for a longer period than was wanted.

robertpaulson said:
I'm not trying to be some sort of doom merchant, just wouldn't want you to list it high and then get caught buy events into holding a car for a longer period than was wanted.

Chum you need to have a chat with jonttt who will try to persuade you otherwise :grin:

JZM have always been 'hexy' price wise and yes there are a lot of cars hanging around at prices that sellers 'think' their car is worth and whilst buyers follow the rainbow thinking they will find a bargain pot of gold usually end up viewing a box of shoite :thumb:

I've known several C2 change hands without going to advert. There will be a correction based on Brexit but more likely a stagnant market whilst those with cash review their position.

I'm holding rather than folding :grin:

well the two c2 manual coupes on ph in the mid 30's have both gone (sold?), so fingers crossed a bit of stability comes back to the world post brexit and you get a decent price. glws

Thanks gents for all the replies.

The car is going to be re-valued by the Porsche club too get an idea of Insurance value. The Hagerty valuation tool still has them quite high.

I am going to have a chat with a few dealers to get an idea of how they think the market is at the moment. There is someone interested in buying the car but the price has not been discussed.

Thanks again, will report on any progress.

Keith

I pitched it correct then. GLWTS :thumb:

I know the car and its previous owner very well and can confirm what Keith is saying - very honest straight car that was much loved.

Someone will get a nice car there, all the best with the sale keith

regards

Jeremy

Hi All

Ray's car has now been sold.

Thanks again for all the comments.

It sold for a little short of £37K

Regards

Keith

Forum statistics

Threads
Members