Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whats wrong here ?

You have the leads plugged in the wrong way round on your meter :thumb:

And the battery is around 35% charged :grin:

A few of the possibilities for this

1. Leads are plugged in backwards on your meter
2. Manufacturing fault
3. Most likely that the battery has been fully discharged and then recharged in reverse polarity. This is most likely I think so I'll stop the list here

The car was recovered in with a flat battery , pushed it in and checked the battery .. strange it has 12 volts , then looked again and realised it was - 12v , leads all ok , got another meter to confirm and sure enough it was reverse polarity.

Ive herd about this but never actually seen one before .

Turns out it went flat and was bench charged but unfortunatly with the leads the wrong way around.

It did make me realise thats its not actually that hard to do hence i though id post here just as a gentle nudge to make sure :)

It can only happen with a totally flat battery , any charge left in it and the charger will indicate reverse polarity .

Now .. modern cars have a lot of electronics .. unfortuantly they dont survive something like this and the bill was .. how should i put it .. eye watering !

A few hours as well to track down all the damge .. all due to a simple mistake .

Btw .. jump start a car with the leads the wrong way around and its similar .

Ouch :eek: Demort

i thought it was a LHD battery in a RHD car.....

interesting i didnt know this was possible, need to find somebody at work i dont like and offer to charge there battery

As I suspected then. Had to be the only explanation.

Demort said:

This would not result in a reverse polarity battery. It would however cause a lot of damage potentially.

There were some workmen in our office building, got a flat battery in their van. They asked if they could jump start it off my X5 but I said the battery was buried deep under the spare wheel so not really easy... so they jumped off the postman's van. Plugged in his cables and there was smoke coming off the post van battery! Turned out he'd reversed the cable polarity. Goodness knows what that would have done to my X5's brain...

Not an experiment you would want to try! Just one of those silly mistakes with a big bill. Much like mixing petrol and diesel or filling your brake resevior with Granny's bisto.

Robertb said:
There were some workmen in our office building, got a flat battery in their van. They asked if they could jump start it off my X5 but I said the battery was buried deep under the spare wheel so not really easy... so they jumped off the postman's van. Plugged in his cables and there was smoke coming off the post van battery! Turned out he'd reversed the cable polarity. Goodness knows what that would have done to my X5's brain...

I had a flat battery in car park and the postman kindly gave me a jump start.
When we originally tried to connect the jump leads there was a big spark!!
On further investigation the post van has a very strange battery terminal
configuration, once we spotted it the jump start was no problem.
:dont know:

911tom said:
As I suspected then. Had to be the only explanation.

Demort said:

This would not result in a reverse polarity battery. It would however cause a lot of damage potentially.

Sorry i wasn,t that clear .. i was talking about the damage being similar not reverse polarity...

I suppose if the battery was totally flat and you left it jump started and running for 5 hours or so then it would .. not in the real world though lol.

Jump leads the wrong way around is more common , 997 ive had and it killed 8 seperate control units .

Both leads are black .. clever design .. also in the handbook it used to mention the procedure for jump starting , unfortunatly it was for a LHD car !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back