Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dodgy electrical faults / failing to start - ignition switch

Double post!

Triple post!

If it helps i broke the same pipe a couple of days ago when replaceing an alternator .. they are getting really brittle these days .. i had to dig out the plastic from the pipes as it just fell appart when trying to pull it out .

Mind you when it went it was under pressure .. antifreeze isnt pleasent when its in your eyes lol .

Haha, I wasn't that unlucky - just a dribble.

I'll head out there at some point this week to get the remains out of the hose, then it's ready for the new one when it arrives.

Really hoping alternator has solved it. The clutched pulley was a lot easier to spin without binding on the old to the new, so if nothing else I think it would have been required at some point in near future.

Finally - got the new hose joiner, fitted it, refitted belt and air box and away we go.

Positive first start, 14.2v at idle cold, dropping to about 13.6 when warm.

Took it for a run - 5 miles or so, no issues at all - just under 14v showing on the dash.

Only slight issue is the windows have lost their one touch drop and up function - anyone know how to solve?

Hoping that's solved it but I guess I won't know until I can go for a longer drive.

Cracking, thanks dude.

MOT today - went through fine but unfortunately on the way to test centre I had a dash flicker and voltmeter hit the deck, then back up fine and fine all the way through test.

Gonna have battery tested and go from there.

test the battery and then monitor to see how it goes ..

The alternator supplys voltage to battery AND the car systems whilst the engine is running so what you have described is not the battery .. or earth leads etc.

its unusual but i would like it to be happening more before investigateing further .. it may have been a 1 off or it may be a fault that i need to research .

Finally got some time to put some more miles on the car and see how things went. I took the battery off the trickle charger to swap over to my KTM and forgot to swap them back again, so the battery wasn't at its fullest charge as the car hadn't moved in a good 2 weeks I think, but nonetheless it started.

Showed ~11v before cranking, dropped to about 9v when cranking, and bounced straight to 14v when running. Took the car for a run and for the vast majority of the time no issues at all. Only issue was ABS light illuminated but that coincided entirely with hitting a fairly big pothole on the front right wheel, so I am switching back now to thinking I do have an underlying ABS fault, rather than that being a specific battery supply problem. It would make sense, as it first materialised after a track day where the ABS was triggered a hell of a lot.

Anyway, 50 miles down - no weird voltage issues, just over 14v when cold, 13.5v ish when warm, rock steady whether lights, fogs, blowers, stereo etc on or off. That's encouraging then....

I'm still going to have the battery tested properly and if it's knackered hopefully it'll be replaced under the warranty. If not, it's not been a massively expensive problem to fix.

Cheers all.

Two further journeys out today, lights wipers and blowers etc on and no issues whatsoever. Yay! [/code]

Whilst I hope it is all sorted for you have you had a look at the voltage regulator? I had rising and falling voltage shown on the voltage display on the dashboard a while ago and thought it was the alternator. A new regulator orted it.

Of course I may be talking out of turn here as the new alternator may have come with a new voltage regulator anyway.

Pip

Pip1968 said:
Whilst I hope it is all sorted for you have you had a look at the voltage regulator? I had rising and falling voltage shown on the voltage display on the dashboard a while ago and thought it was the alternator. A new regulator orted it.

Of course I may be talking out of turn here as the new alternator may have come with a new voltage regulator anyway.

Pip

Yep, new alternator had new regulator fitted to it and yeah, my thinking is it was the regulator - but since the alternator was 16 years old I thought I'd replace the whole thing :)

Guess who's back......back again......

Goddammit problem has reappeared :evil:

Not quite to the same extreme this time, but it's still there. Goes like this:
Started car, everything normal- 14v showing, all good no disco dash
Drove to supermarket, then showing 13.8v approx warm and no issues
Came out from shop half hour later - key in, dim dash lights and 9v showing - what the.....
Start car, it starts fine, straight up to 14v and no issues
Risk it - turn car off and back to ignition lights, 12v and all is well again. Start car drive off and get home. Test voltage at posts, 13.7 running and 12.1v off.

I can't believe the battery dropped to 9v as I don't think it could have started the car so easy but didn't have my meter with me to check.

Frustrated as hell now.

This might just be a faulty dash voltmeter as you say .. the car span over and started fine which if it had only 9 volts wouldn,t do.

Stick your volt meter in your glove box and if it happens again you can confirm it.

Have you checked the voltage at the alternator with it running and then at the battery to see what the drop is ?

I cant really see a poor connection from the alternator but thats one check to do just to rule it out .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back