Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

porsche caymam S sport 2009

C_Stewart

Hey guys,

Curious about this car. I know the 2009 standard cayman models are a better quality than pre 2009 but what would the sport s? The one I'm looking at is a 2009 but I'm not sure if its an updated model?

What i should've asked was does a 2009 S sport cayman have an intermediate shaft?

First, it's very obvious just looking at the car if it's a gen 1 or gen 2. Hopefully you don't need help with that.

Second, a 2009 Cayman S Sport is a run-out gen 1 model, so yes it has an intermediate shaft. But it has the final big bearing that rarely fails. Forget about the IMS on any gen 1 Cayman, it's not something to worry about.

Third, if you want something to worry about, that will be scored bores on a gen 1 3.4-litre Cayman, which includes the 2009 Cayman S Sport.

Hi, it's the intermediate shaft bearing that causes the problem not the shaft itself.

I have a 2008 Boxster with 3.4 engine and it's a great car. Yes there are risks but they are rare and can be checked pre-purchase. The IMS bearing is not so easy to check but if you are super worried, you can opt to have an improved one fitted.

isysman said:
Hi, it's the intermediate shaft bearing that causes the problem not the shaft itself.

I have a 2008 Boxster with 3.4 engine and it's a great car. Yes there are risks but they are rare and can be checked pre-purchase. The IMS bearing is not so easy to check but if you are super worried, you can opt to have an improved one fitted.

Well, if it doesn't have the shaft, you can't have a problem with the bearing!

Also, you cannot fit an improved bearing to the car in question or your car without removing the engine and splitting the crank case, since both have the final big bearing.

Well, there are some who claimed to have machined the block externally to get at a big bearing, but that's pretty drastic and in any case the bearing is not the worry on the 3.4 lump, it's the bores.

pothole said:
isysman said:

Well, if it doesn't have the shaft, you can't have a problem with the bearing!

Also, you cannot fit an improved bearing to the car in question or your car without removing the engine and splitting the crank case, since both have the final big bearing.

Well, there are some who claimed to have machined the block externally to get at a big bearing, but that's pretty drastic and in any case the bearing is not the worry on the 3.4 lump, it's the bores.

The 997 turbo has an intermediate shaft but no issues with the beating failing.

Lots of people have the LV bearing fitted. Costs about £1,000 for the job.

Away from the internet pitch fork brigade, incidence of IMS bearing failure is actually very low and there have been cases of the 'upgraded' aftermarket bearings failing.

An 09 car will have defo the new IMS bearing design, I think all Cayman did.

Get the bores inspected, service with Millers Nanodrive, warm the car up sensibly and enjoy.

isysman said:
The 997 turbo has an intermediate shaft but no issues with the beating failing.

Lots of people have the LV bearing fitted. Costs about £1,000 for the job.

997 Turbo has a totally different engine - relevance here is that the updated engine in the 987.2 lost the shaft, hence the OP's question.

And like I said, the car in question has the big bearing which in practice can't be upgraded and hardly ever fails in any case.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back