Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - Plan B

Thanks for the part number Paul. I thought I had lost the screw so was just evaluating the situation. Tried various sources including OPC and it would have taken 2-3 days. Your friendly engine builder kindly saved the day with his magnetic rod and fished it out, so now I can say my engine has been breathed upon by Nick Fulljames!

I like your thinking and a very cheap way to do it :floor:

Pleased you're sorted.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Chaps,

When fitting the new alternator sensor I noticed the hose connector/clip on the RH dizzy was loose and came off easily in my hand. Which is potentially bad news, if ozone leaks onto the fan belt it will rot quicker than a good relationship between the press and an England manager. So a mental note to replace it was made, and sooner rather than later.

The small clip comes in the distributor vent kit, it's a fix for earlier models which had the ozone problem. Don't panic unless your car has been in storage for 27 years or so, it would have been done by an OPC on a recall. The distributor nearest the fan should now be vented via a hole in the heater pipe and connected to the rear rear lense.

Obviously I only needed the connector clip but there was a nice length of new tube and mine was looking pretty ratty. Why I'd never thought to renew this before I've no idea but since housekeeping is taking a deeper interest I thought I'd better sharpen up :grin:

Unfortunately there's not enough tube to do the final part to the heater tube so I'll need to order another :frustrated:

Another little job was to fit the carbon engine bay tidy strip I'd ordered from www.kunststofftechnik-buehler.de and the heat resistant Porsche script in red, which I'm not sure about, possibly overkill :?:

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Hi Chaps,

On Sunday when I was out doing a recky for our North Yorks run on the 9th my alternator sensor warning light came on, naturally I stopped immediately.

Fortunately it wasn't serious, the belt was still intact apart from some superficial marks on the surface (see photo) but the little spinning wheel on the sensor/sender was nowhere to be seen.

Hi Paul,

I had the same a couple of weeks back, on the way back from an overnighter in the Dales. Light came on whilst heading home on the A1 and having read about this problem predicted what it might be so didn't bother to stop as I was nearly home.

I did actually find the plastic wheel, it was intact and lying just under an engine mount but the bearing was nowhere to be seen - just the shaft on the arm remaining.

Replacement was easy as per your report. I made a mental note to give the wheel a spin before any decent journey but so far have never remembered to do so

:roll:

Hi Steve,

It does seem to be a weak point. The trouble with the arm resting on the belt is that it could create heat with the friction and catch fire. It's definitely worth stopping.

Are you coming tomorrow? See N. Yorks Run.

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Are you coming tomorrow? See N. Yorks Run.

Completely missed the post in events until I read your question Paul, I really need to get on here more frequently! I could have been up for that.

After a summer of avoiding doing any further real work on my car in favour of driving it every weekend I'm finally starting the suspension replacement tomorrow afternoon. I put it in for the MOT today (pass), a month early, so that I can concentrate on the task in hand.

Drive safe and have a great day, see you next time.

Steve

Seasons Greetings Friends :santa:

I have a problem and I'm going to share it with you lucky chaps! Recently I purchased a Rennline steering wheel quick release knowing I was going to have the problem, so here it is.

Shall I try to find a way to make a connecter which will pull out/disconnect when the wheel is taken off, or leave the horn button as a dummy and find another hopefully elegant solution for the horn?

Any ideas?

Also you may remember I fitted the fantastic R3 LED headlights and some people on the other channel had a little trouble getting sets from the supplier I used and asked for my help.

I knew the bulbs were manufactured in China and set about finding a new supplier, anyway I found a reliable distributor in China and bought myself 3 sets. I'll keep a couple as spares in case I need any, but if anyone would like this brilliant upgrade (get it?) there is one set available at cost (plus postage inc.) i.e. £46. The first interested party to post their intention underneath this post gets them.

For full details please see my earlier posts (p.63 & 64)on this plug and play upgrade.

Happy daze,
Paul
:thumbs:

Hi Paul, sorry cant help with your horn problems but I'll take the LED head lights if no one else has claimed them.
Michael

Hi Michael,

No problem, their your's. They are the headlights only, no sidelights but sometime when I have a minute I'll see if I can get some more LED sidelight bulbs. I'm sure you will be delighted with them.

Just PM me your address please and I'll also send you details and post them Special Delivery tomorrow.

All the best,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I have experience of quick connect/disconnect connectors for military applications - but typically they have like 21 conductors and are massively expensive.

I'll talk to some suppliers, might be able to get a sample. The problem is not the connection - but how to mount each half. Unless you want it on a curly cable rally car style which i doubt.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, I would be very interested to see what you can come up with.

The idea would be to keep the connector as small as possible and integrate it unseen, I'm not sure if it's possible but its worth trying. But I think a curly cable is out ha!

I appreciate any help you can offer and I'll look forward to hearing from you in the meanwhile have a fantastic Christmas.

All the best,
Paul

Hi Paul,

This is an interesting problem. I guess horns are not a requirement for single seaters and curly cables can work for rally or other motorsport vehicles.

I can't see anything working on the steering column (some form of jack plug?) and wonder if a horn push can be incorporated on one of the stalks? It probably needs a good auto electrician to engineer an acceptable solution.

I'm intrigued to understand how the quick release mechanism can fit with the ergnomics (pedal reach vs steering wheel reach) of a 964.

I asked myself the obvious question of 'why would you do this?' and could only come up with 'because I can'.

Is there any knowledge from hot rodders across the pond? Could a floor mounted switch (aka mini start button?) or even a door mounted switch near the window controls work?

I'm sure somebody else must have done this on other cars.

Good luck with the search and have a great/safe time over the festive period.

Cheers, Keith.

Hi Keith,

I hope you are keeping well?

The reasons I'm considering this upgrade is not because I can. The main reasons are because it's a brilliant anti-theft deterrent when the car is parked overnight when I'm touring and every little helps. Secondly because if I do have an "off" anywhere (I've been in that situation before) it really does what it says on the tin and releases the wheel quickly.

However, I also don't want to loose the centre push horn, unless of course I/we can come up with some really cool alternative. If I can't do either I'm not going to bother but I needed to buy the piece to be able to visualise them problem.

Cheers,
Paul

I think it would be easy Paul to have a second 'socket' to which the wheel connects when engaged. This second socket is ancillary to the physical connection for steering and will close the power loop for the horn. If you had someone machine a solution for you it could be fully integrated. I have no doubt your talented lad would design something beautiful. 3D print a prototype and then machine the solution.

Job done. :)

Happy Christmas!!

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your input. That's more or less what I'm thinking :thumb:

Or it may be possible to adapt the Rennline piece and integrate a jack plug and socket like Keith suggested. :?:

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I've done a bit of digging and this can be done but its going to be some work to get it how I know you will want it!

We are using Amphenol Terrapin connectors (info on the web) in similar applications (push/pull connect/disconnect) but they are mounted in bespoke machined housings

Honestly speaking I think you might be better doing a remote horn or backtracking a bit and getting a pre-wired wheel mount which I have seen.

I could probably get sample Amphenol Terrapin connectors if you wanted to try to make an installation.

Happy to help if I can

All the best

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back