Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - Plan B

Hi Chaps,

Nightmare! :wink:

On Sunday when I was out doing a recky for our North Yorks run on the 9th my alternator sensor warning light came on, naturally I stopped immediately.

Fortunately it wasn't serious, the belt was still intact apart from some superficial marks on the surface (see photo) but the little spinning wheel on the sensor/sender was nowhere to be seen. Which meant the wheel's spindle was now resting on the belt. Being a good boy scout I had some insulating tape and I was able to tape up the wheel arm to it's body out of harms way.

I wonder where the wheel is :dont know: Probably lying in the bottom of the well.

The new part ordered came on Tuesday from OPC Newcastle for £75.38 inc. VAT and free delivery, bless you Michael :thumbs:

To remove the alternator sensor/sender unit you will need a 5mm allen key, a small flat headed screwdriver, a cloth which I advise you to lay under the unit so that the allen bolt doesn't fall into the well or you will have endless hours of fun trying to fish it out :grin:

Here we can see the little flange on with the wheel is centred but the flange has straightened out setting the wheel free :frustrated:

First take off the connector by removing the spring clip with a flat headed screwdriver.

Carefully loosen the allen bolt, it is only threaded in about 5mm so only a few turns but it might be stiff to get started and there's not much room so watch your knuckles.

The unit is held in place by two plastic locating pins on the back of the unit and a single allen bolt.

A couple of top tips here, firstly give the wheel spindle (and the bolt) a squirt with WD40 as they are apt to squeak in time or worse, seize up, which will causes flat spots on the wheel. The second tip is to tape up the wheel arm which will help you locate the unit easier, remove the tape with a blade when it's fitted.

Remove your tape and security blanket, connect it up again and fire her up!

About 30 mins. approx. for this little job. Now to find the missing wheel, Simon reckons he finds all sorts in that little well when he's taking engines out :grin:

Cheers,
Paul

Excellent repair guide Paul, well done!

Hang on a minute, what is that on the fan blades and cowling? Could it actually be dirt? Surely not on Black Betty......

Cheers, Keith.

Hi Keith,

I know I was horrified when I saw the photos too :floor:

She'll be all shiny again when you see her next :oops:

Cheers,
Paul

That was a timely post as my warning light came up before MOT yesterday so need to investigate today ... Thanks for posting.

Well Paul, I put that down to an appalling lack of maintenance :grin:
Now when was the last time I changed my oil :?:

Glad you boy scouted the fix though, I have often looked at my one and wandered when that was going to ruin my day.

Glad you got it sorted Paul, better give one a check over for the 9th :thumb:

That was a timely post as my warning light came up before MOT yesterday so need to investigate today ... Thanks for posting.

Pleased to be of service Mondrian :thumb:

If your light keeps coming on but the wheel is intact it probably means the wheel is on it's way out, possibly either a flat spot or it's sticking on it's spindle. If it's the latter you could try a squirt of WD40 if you're accurate enough but don't get it on the belt.

Glad you boy scouted the fix though, I have often looked at my one and wandered when that was going to ruin my day.

Hi Chief,

They are not built to last I'm afraid, it's the 3rd on my car. I have looked at this from Clewett Engineering (they make the PMO ITB's), it's a more substantial conversion with or without A\C.

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60&products_id=135

Glad you got it sorted Paul, better give one a check over for the 9th

Cheers Ian :thumb:

Best regards,
Paul

What a mine of information this thread is, thanks Paul! :thumb:

(Would be great if it had an index with page numbers though) :floor:

Fixed a side window that came off the runner (rusty) yesterday. Next diy job is to sort the noisy rear spoiler motor...... and this is before its paint restoration and the brakes, suspension, interior not to mention the engine!

You mentioned slippery slope, more like downhill slalom!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike, it's a mine alright, there's enough to sink a ship :grin:

I must get organised ha!

Yes but you're on your 2nd car already :what:

If the runner was rusty did you check the bottoms of your doors? Enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Paul

Bottom of door was fine although full of rust 'gravel' but fortunately the drain holes wern't too blocked. Now all nice and clean..... very difficult to polish in there though! :floor:
Window runner was lying in the bottom, mishaped and in a real state but straightened it up and refitted for now. Will replace both next month when the car is stripped for repaint.
Exciting times ahead! :thumb:

paul284pt said:

Pleased to be of service Mondrian :thumb:

If your light keeps coming on but the wheel is intact it probably means the wheel is on it's way out, possibly either a flat spot or it's sticking on it's spindle. If it's the latter you could try a squirt of WD40 if you're accurate enough but don't get it on the belt.

Paul

My whole unit had come off, surprisingly all there and no damage - even the bolt was still there alas hiding/wedged under the unit which I only saw when I pick up the unit up ..... too late however as the bolt disappeared into the well. I had a poke around with a long magnetic screw driver to no avail. Looks like easiest fix is to buy a new bolt - any idea of size?

Might be a good idea for others to check their bolt is nice and tight!

Bottom of door was fine although full of rust 'gravel' but fortunately the drain holes wern't too blocked. Now all nice and clean..... very difficult to polish in there though!

With your professional skills Mike I'm sure you'll find a way, break out the jeweller's rouge :grin:

My whole unit had come off, surprisingly all there and no damage - even the bolt was still there alas hiding/wedged under the unit which I only saw when I pick up the unit up ..... too late however as the bolt disappeared into the well. I had a poke around with a long magnetic screw driver to no avail. Looks like easiest fix is to buy a new bolt - any idea of size?

Might be a good idea for others to check their bolt is nice and tight!

Hi Mondrian,

Oh b***er! :frustrated: What happened to your security blanket? While yer in there would you mind having a look for my missing wheel too :grin:

This is the part number you need N0147432 pan-head screw M 6 X 30

Here's a link to the page where you can order one from Design 911 for £0.65 plus VAT and postage.

http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=1&diagramID=2227

Today I've been resetting my suspension and tyre pressure in case my fillings fall out next week on the North Yorks Moors run, and of course a little clean up, I know housekeeping is watching, you know who you are :wack:

Cheers,
Paul

Now Paul,

Housekeeping inspections are one thing but trying to remove the evidence before a spot check is going too far! Just look at the dirt from the near side front wheel arch! You dirty boy!

Have you been driving around Middlesbrough or is that Tyneside dirt?

The second picture has a fantastic 'glow', is that a special filter or just a different lighting level?

So looking forward to next weekend,

Cheers, Keith.

Housekeeping inspections are one thing but trying to remove the evidence before a spot check is going too far! Just look at the dirt from the near side front wheel arch! You dirty boy!

You should have gone to Specsavers Keith, that's soap suds matey!
:grin:

It's the Chrome filter on yer actual iPhone settings. I always think cars look great in the lights of filling stations at night, is it just me :?:

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Hi Mondrian,

Oh b***er! :frustrated: What happened to your security blanket? While yer in there would you mind having a look for my missing wheel too :grin:

This is the part number you need N0147432 pan-head screw M 6 X 30

Here's a link to the page where you can order one from Design 911 for £0.65 plus VAT and postage.

http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/diagramsBrowser.aspx?categoryID=1&diagramID=2227

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks for the part number Paul. I thought I had lost the screw so was just evaluating the situation. Tried various sources including OPC and it would have taken 2-3 days. Your friendly engine builder kindly saved the day with his magnetic rod and fished it out, so now I can say my engine has been breathed upon by Nick Fulljames!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back