Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best value 911?

Chance of the ims bearing failing on a 50k mile+ 996 is very, very slim and more rare than a 997 one failing. You don't read the scare mongers harping on about chocolate 997 engines the same do you.........don't even start on 997 bore scoring.

you are right alex, my 996 was superb for the low price of 10k, the engine was the last thing I worried about when I was out in it. I bought it, and never even heard of a fking ims bearing, load of fking hype put about by anoraks.

Why not worry about a clutch, or rust, or some other bollocks.

Ims is a sales ploy, its the first thing my garage wanted to alarm me with, as I say, it was only these dopey forums that made me even aware of it.

Palladium said:
I bought it, and never even heard of a ***** ims bearing, load of ***** hype put about by anoraks.

Why not worry about a clutch, or rust, or some other bollocks.

Ims is a sales ploy, its the first thing my garage wanted to alarm me with, as I say, it was only these dopey forums that made me even aware of it.

Palladium - it seems generally some 996 owners might be a little angrier than their air-cooled brethren? When you explain the unfortunate long list of costs incurred in your SC ownership (as always, extremely knowledgeably) you somehow seem calmer?

I suppose because I have had both, I am calm about mine because the issues are down to 35 years, basic neglect and not terminal, plus I went in with eyes open. The vast majority of 996's are completely fine, its the ones that don't get revved enough that suffer, plus poor oil or irregular oil changes.

I would have a 996 again.

Palladium said:
infrasilver said:
Palladium said:
I called them *****, when the bill came. cost cutting nonsense.

Lightweight performance rather than cost cutting. Steel would have been cheaper.

why not copper like brake pipes, and like what autofarm used when they fashioned some for the repairs. They said it was cost cutting, made for a price, workmanship.

Brake pipes are steel :dont know

Autofarm don't know what they are talking about (possibly appeasing the customer) or you misquoted them?

Must admit...I've never been impressed from what I've heard about them. I've also never liked their name - sounds like some geezers bodging cars in a farm yard.

yeh, maybe I misquoted them. They are good, first independants really, started out in 1973, its pretty impressive up there, porsches built to order if you want one.

Unless you buy a very good and well sorted (expensive) 964 in my experience you'll be spending a fortune on it plugging oil leaks etc-
Same with an SC.
The 996 can still be good value but many folk think they look crap with the fried egg headlights and they'll never have the cache of the 993 being last air cooled......
So, to conclude, taking everything into account I consider a well sorted 993 circa £40k to be best value- they are reliable and iconic.

carkid said:
So, to conclude, taking everything into account I consider a well sorted 993 circa £40k to be best value- they are reliable and iconic.

Hmmmm, but there is no such car available to buy :dont know:

So therefore it has to be a good, fault free 996.1 :thumb:

I could strip mine to sell for parts and make a profit on what she cost :thumb:

carkid said:
Unless you buy a very good and well sorted (expensive) 964 in my experience you'll be spending a fortune on it plugging oil leaks etc-
Same with an SC.
The 996 can still be good value but many folk think they look crap with the fried egg headlights and they'll never have the cache of the 993 being last air cooled......

You were all building up to saying an E46 M3 coupe and fell at the last. Great cars, cheap, no expensive problems (all relative).

MC

MisterCorn said:
carkid said:
Same with an SC.

You were all building up to saying an E46 M3 coupe and fell at the last. Great cars, cheap, no expensive problems (all relative).

MC

I'm partial to an expensive bill and a very nice drive.

infrasilver said:
MisterCorn said:
carkid said:
Same with an SC.

MC

I'm partial to an expensive bill and a very nice drive.

The 996 is a better drive. If I wasn't a gambling man i would take the E46

MC

I am wondering if the early 3.4 996's will turn around, you can pick up a sorted one for around 10-13

It is an ugly old boy with a Toyota interior but there is something quite solid about it, I remember driving one and it was pretty good.

Could it be worth buying one and moth balling it??

Do you remember when you couldn't give away a 964 Coupe.............

ASHLEY PALIN said:
I am wondering if the early 3.4 996's will turn around, you can pick up a sorted one for around 10-13

It is an ugly old boy with a Toyota interior but there is something quite solid about it, I remember driving one and it was pretty good.

I've driven a lot of Japanese cars in the past and the 996 is far and away better than any of them and the finished quality is loads better than the 997. The 993 interior is comparable with a model T.

infrasilver said:
ASHLEY PALIN said:

I've driven a lot of Japanese cars in the past and the 996 is far and away better than any of them and the finished quality is loads better than the 997. The 993 interior is comparable with a model T.

Sure, but that centre console is pretty grim, with plastic buttons

I don't mind the 993 interior, especially the VW Beetle switches

And you just can't beat that instrument cluster, it reminds me of and old aircraft, something quite timeless about it................charm no?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back