Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Southern Pyrenees road trip Santander-Barcelona-Santander

Liking the write-up Chris. Less said about the Dutch cap incident the better :grin:

Zingers- the 993 behaved impeccably thankfully. Only time it has let me down (touch wood) has been the thankfully minor incident at Chimay. You need to start revising those prices up. Just leave an allowance for exhaust paste if you plan on sticking a 3.8 in the engine bay and bursting the silencers!

Jackal - I need to drop off some footage to you - there should be a few good bits in there.

jackal2513 said:
Enjoying the write up Chris. Still trying to figure out if it actually happened or not :?:

Tons of videos on my YouTube, many fairly boring of course with no one else in them but they do show the roads off well.

Been watching them everyday with interest. Looking forward to you hopefully doing some sort of 'hoonumentary' like the epic Montrachet video.

:worship: :thumb:

I've eventually got my RS into gear and managed to find some time to get the second half written up.

Day 7 and 8.

So after the 28 euro breakfast at the Miramar we set off on the route out of Barcelona which took us past the harbour and straight away we got split up into three groups.

My new rear tyre's felt all over the place and weren't confidence inspiring so I took my time for a couple of hundred miles. On our first re-group/fuel stop I checked my tyre pressures and the rears were at 55psi due to the altitude we had climbed to, I spent all day letting air out until they felt fine and bedded in.

Our final destination for today was Boltana at the Barceló Monasterio de Boltaà±a Spa hotel, this place had high hopes of winning the best hotel, but unfortunately Chimp, who chose here, was the first to start voicing his frustration at the place. Not going to win if the person who booked it is complaining.

Poolside with the over eager Monk Ghost whenever someone jumped in.

View from my room.

The hotel was stunning and had so much potential but the staff and service weren't quite up to the same standard, we ate at the hotel and ended up getting frustrated with the service, drinks at the bar and then bed.

Day 8.

RichyD left us today and headed straight up through France for a family gathering in the UK that he couldn't miss.
I must have been dosing as I heard the GT4 fire up early doors and head off around the front of the hotel to check out, a few minutes later my ears pricked up as he pulled out of the hotel junction and I heard the car topping out through the gears, I slept soundly after that.

For the today we looped around and back to Boltana for the whole day, there was some repetition from previous days but again some great roads if you ignore the rough ones, which can be a bit tiresome if on for long enough. But this did make the faster ones an absolute pleasure, proper Porsche (and ferrari) roads, fast and sweeping.

Coffee break in a little village.

We did shorten the road a little by cutting off the South East section and headed West from Tremp, missing out the donkeys c*** section.

Tremp Dam Photo Op

Jets washes after a full days hooning and back to the Monastary.

The evening was spent in a local steak house with a charming waitress called Christina (there are pictures... anyone?) the food was good and the atmosphere was very much more relaxed than the night before at the Monastary. Great food and a local price.

One for Waz.

Day 9 San Sebastian. Mercure Monte Igueldo. Jackal's second hotel booking.

Leaving the monastary.

Crap rooms, parking and service were offset by a very nice pool area and amazing views over the Bay of Biscay and San Sebastian on the other side.

The evening was spent hopping bar to bar for tapas and beers in town, This 24hr party town kept some of us out most of the night, getting us in at 6.30am, 5 hours sleep and we were up again and ready to leave.

The calm before the storm.

The Storm.

We drove back to Santander for the 26 hour ferry back to the UK, this was mainly just a two hour motorway dash but was fun as always due to convoying.

Back at Santander.

This time on the boat there was a bit of a swell in the Bay and it didn't make for the best crossing and I was kept awake most of the night from the swaying of the boat and the creaking of the cheap cabin furniture.

In total I did 1713 miles Home - Santander – Barcelona – Santander - home, this doesn't include the 1620 miles we save on the cars using the ferry across the Bay of Biscay instead of heading from Calais through France, due to tyre's I missed some miles that the others did and we detoured a couple of times to save a bit of time.

Most days were hitting 36 degrees in the afternoon and most evenings were pleasant and we didn't drive as much as we normally would, next year is already in the planning stages and this will be a biggie and more driving is planned, it'll be a less lazy, drinking, poolside, partying kind of tour. :floor:

Oh yeah, did I mention that this years winning hotel was Oliana? :yahoo:

Some random shots.

All photo's in the thread were from everyone involved.

The End.....

Chris, that's excellent!
Takes us right back there. :worship:

Great stuff!!! :worship:

I've seen this photo before (about 3 months ago). I hate it (I see stuff prior to seeing it) when this happens :nooo:

temporary_zps4bjqbdgk.jpg

Oh dear :grin:

Thought the other photo was a bad shorts competition........with the winner taking centre stage - stood up! (sorry chimp - no offence :wack: ).

:thumb:

alex yates said:
Oh dear :grin:

Thought the other photo was a bad shorts competition........with the winner taking centre stage - stood up! (sorry chimp - no offence :wack: ).

:thumb:

I think we'll all have to chip in and get him some new ones for next year, either the bills on a 430 must be high or Mrs Chimp bought them for him to keep the ladies away.

You need more than cr4p shorts to keep the ladies (edit - female people) away in a 430 scud! :grin:

:grin:

Jackal's road trip compilation video:

Looked (as usual) great fun! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back