Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone still track their GT3?

Why not...as no one is tracking GT3's and talking about it :D

So, at Silverstone you have about a 5% delta to the Porsche, assuming GT4 and slightly tweeked 6GT3 are similar. More seat time and a bit more weight reduction im sure it would be closer.

My experience is similar, at Zandvoort closer to 3% and at the ring maybe similar but so many variables....

Good fun though. I can't honestly say when driving the M i am not feeling short changed, its good fun trying to get the best out of anything really although on the one occaision i took my golf gti on a circuit its was awful...the basics have to be there, brakes, some grip, noise and a bit of power to weight after that alls good. Ther is quite a bit of modding to do on the e46 to get it in the zone but it's relatively cheap and an enjoyable process. The thing it really hammers home though is how damn good the GT cars are out of the box.

Senoj said:
Why not...as no one is tracking GT3's and talking about it :D

So, at Silverstone you have about a 5% delta to the Porsche, assuming GT4 and slightly tweeked 6GT3 are similar. More seat time and a bit more weight reduction im sure it would be closer.

My experience is similar, at Zandvoort closer to 3% and at the ring maybe similar but so many variables....

Good fun though. I can't honestly say when driving the M i am not feeling short changed, its good fun trying to get the best out of anything really although on the one occaision i took my golf gti on a circuit its was awful...the basics have to be there, brakes, some grip, noise and a bit of power to weight after that alls good. Ther is quite a bit of modding to do on the e46 to get it in the zone but it's relatively cheap and an enjoyable process. The thing it really hammers home though is how damn good the GT cars are out of the box.

Fully agree with every point.

The M3 is 80% there with a few things to do to it. Agree more seat time needed. My brakes were actually really good and I wasn't making the most of them as I kept thinking surely this car is supposed to be too heavy :)

Agree you need the basics there to ensure you can run trouble free for a good stint - suspension, brakes, cooling - all of which need attention on an M3 and exactly as you say its been an enjoyable process to get it there. I have even picked up a spanner to do some things myself! But it really does hit home how fully developed the GT3s are for motorsport use! On previous GT3s one still needed to change tyres or brakes to get most out of them, however with the GT4 it is banging out relentless 997 pace times straight out of the box

I need to drive a GT4 to see what the fuss is all about but even the Cayman S had some serious circuit pace. Is it an easier car to get the time from though?

At Oulton in March this year i was about following about half a lap behind a GT4 and SPyder in the RS and i like to think i was gaining on the pair of them but if i so it was marginal..two similar cars going at eachother tend to be quick though 😀

Senoj said:
I need to drive a GT4 to see what the fuss is all about but even the Cayman S had some serious circuit pace. Is it an easier car to get the time from though?

At Oulton in March this year i was about following about half a lap behind a GT4 and SPyder in the RS and i like to think i was gaining on the pair of them but if i so it was marginal..two similar cars going at eachother tend to be quick though 😀

Well a Gen 2 RS is a quicker car anyway so you should be gaining if both being peddled to the same extent.

Is it easier to get the time from? Hmm. I think that is a little overplayed. Yes it is perhaps easier to get to 80% and it's more forgiving when things go a bit wrong - mid bend correction is easier than with a 911. And since it has natural balance and pace, a GT4 can be driven at the same lap time as say a 996 GT3 more easily (say 2:35ish at Silveratone).

However, if you want to push on - say sub 2:28 at Silly or sub 2:50 at Spa - then I don't think it is easy. So I guess it depends where you are with reference to its performance envelope.

A well prepared E46 M3 race car (BMW Kumho or Classic Sports Car Club)on slicks is on par with 997 Cup cars in terms of outright pace and for sure quicker than any street 996/997 GT car on slicks, and I would hazard a guess would give most 991s a fright in the right hands. So knock them at your own peril :hand:

As for tracking the GT3 - had a fabulous day at Bedford - despite being black flagged almost three times - during Bank Holiday Monday just gone. Faultless performance by the old girl. Roll on the next one. Mileage went to 34,000 while I was on track, which was a nice touch too.. :thumb:

DN 16 next week.

Brno, Slovakiaring & Hungoring in October :thumb:

Been a busy summer, but I've taken the GT4 out to Spa (awesome) and Brands (binned off after an hour for being too loud)

The GT3 will get a run out to Goodwood in Oct I think, as I recon the GT4 will get binned off there too.... sadly

GT4 also did a 2k mile trip to the mountains last month, so it's being used as intended.

Life is too short to polish 'em

I've not taken mine to Goodwood before. Will a standard 996.2 GT3 get through noise testing there?

Both my 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 did/do

Mitch911 said:
I've not taken mine to Goodwood before. Will a standard 996.2 GT3 get through noise testing there?

IME, the 996 is marginal, particularly if it's got the original cats & exhaust as it will be long past its best. Goodwood are normally pretty accommodating but if you want to be sure of passing, tell them you are running in a rebuilt engine & can't rev it above 6K which will mean they'll test you at 4.5K and tell you they'll monitor you on driveby (which is never a problem anyway).

Turn off the aircon & test with your clutch down so the gearbox isn't contributing noise - it all helps.

The first time we did this event in 2013. Every car tested was 105db regardless of the car or the exhaust it had. All of us got warned we were on limit and they would monitor on drive by. Pretty sure there monitor was naff.
If you go with Nicks idear stick some red insulation tape over the rev counter blocking out 6k to 8k. I've heard that this worked at Oulton Park a couple of years ago :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back