Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Insurance without Tracker

markz86

Monza
I'm looking to buy a used 991 and my current Insurance company (AIB) have informed me that since the car is worth more than £40K, a cat 5 tracker is required.

I don't particularly want to pay for a tracker to be installed or the yearly subscription costs. Has anyone had experience with getting Insurance on a £52K car without a tracker fitted?

Thanks
Mark

Hi OP haven't required a tracker on any of the following 997 C2S, Boxster 3.4S, 2xM5s never been an issue it may be post code related :dont know: :thumb:

Im with Admiral atm and they didnt mention anything about needing a tracker when I got my 997 turbo earlier in the year.

Admiral does not require it indeed.

Some companies even charge more if you have a tracker, using some sort of weird logic that the car is more likely to be stolen or so....

Thanks for the responses. I never had an issue with my 997.2 either, though that was valued at £35K

AIB said that any car over £40K requires it, though thinking about it it could be related to the current post code as the guy opposite me had a motorbike stolen from his garage recently and it's not the best area in general.

Moving house in 2 weeks or so anyway, to a much better area so perhaps I should delay delivery for a couple of weeks if that changes things.

Worst case I'll activate the VTS for 1 year and then change insurers when I renew next May.

Not sure about the benefits nowadays as a tracker can be defeated by a cheap blocker that a thief can plug in the cigarette lighter.

Possibly post code related. But having it on a £40k car is a load of b&ll*cks.

My broker stipulates tracker where agreed valuation is £100k.

I'd try another broker and leave AIB until the next passing of Haley's Comet or when Mars will be on the cusp of Venus (whichever is the later).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back