Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BEWARE - tyre valve dust caps made of metal..!!

Going out to check my caps first thing in the morning after reading this!!
T

I had exactly the same problem on my daily driver Merc, normal metal caps fitted by the local tyre guys, even ChrisW from Exel couldn`t get em off when he was here putting the wheels back on the Boxster :sad:

I had the opposite on the Boxster wheels, the metal Porsche crested valve caps have all gone, either flung off down the lanes or nicked by a scallywag :grin:

For sale :
One set of brand new Porsche crested metal valve caps and keyring in box, mint condition bought for €2 in greece last year.

£1 and they are yours :grin:

kurlykris said:
For sale :
One set of brand new Porsche crested metal valve caps and keyring in box, mint condition bought for €2 in greece last year.

£1 and they are yours :grin:

:floor: :floor: can I give you a quid to keep them :grin:

Right, after a TPM warning on my daily whilst half way to South Wales this morning and a quick pitstop to check that all was well with all of the tyres, I managed to remove the stuck fast valve caps.

I used a three square ( triangular ) needle file and carefully filed a slot along the caps until I felt it just touch the threads of the valve, then as the tension was broken I managed to unscrew the metal valve caps :thumb:

Obviously I will get the valves replaced ASAP, but at least there is now no danger of any tyre/wheel damage as the tyre fitters won`t have to break the bead/seal with the tyres under pressure, they can just unscrew the inner valve and deflate the tyres as normal for a puncture or whatnot :grin:

Recommendation for checking your tyre pressures is once a month. Surely they don't fuse on over this time period?

Or do folk not regularly check their pressures?

alex yates said:
Recommendation for checking your tyre pressures is once a month. Surely they don't fuse on over this time period?

Or do folk not regularly check their pressures?

I check mine every week Alex, on the daily it is via Onboard Computer, I reckon they had siezed within a fortnight of new tyres and valves being fitted :sad:

The TPM can be a little wierd on my Merc as it compares the pressures from when you start the car at intervals on a journey, it was quite cold this morning and saw a 2 Psi difference on the motorway :sad:

I'm talking manual checks with a gauge. This should still be done monthly.

Taken from Bridgestones website (but I guess they'll all state the same):

DOES A TPMS REPLACE REGULAR TIRE PRESSURE CHECKS?

No! Understanding what a TPMS warning light means and what to do when it illuminates is an important part of a driver's responsibility. However, TPMS is not a replacement for regular tire pressure checks.

Therefore, even with TPMS, manual tire pressure checks with a gauge are important to caring for your tires and vehicle, especially for your safety and that of others. You should check tire pressure once a month, and before a long trip or when carrying extra load.

Yes, that is when I found that I had siezed caps on the daily, about a fortnight after the new valves/tyres were fitted. I have a nifty tyre pressure guage that calibrates itself to ambient atmospheric pressure and have been meaning to get the valves changed, but with work and all that, I got sort of sidetracked and relied too much on the TPMS for the daily :sad:

Normally when the TPMS goes off I have shredded a tyre :D

:grin: ooops.

alex yates said:
:grin: ooops.

You can just imagine the amount of stuff I carry in the boot before I even get to the spare tyre :sad:

I can never seem to get it all back in and it ends up on the rear seats :sad: for YEARS :grin:

Its another one of those things that makes you incredibly lazy and mechanically distant.

I thought the 996 was bad enough with its digital oil level - means I rarely check the dipstick.

My wife's car has TPMS, auto-wipers, auto-headlights and even an automatic handbrake that holds you on a hill. Seems bizarre to have a manual gearbox in that car.

One day soon nobody will actually know how to "drive" or look after a car, they will just beep at you when somethings wrong and type take it to the garage ££££.

I've been looking for this thread for a few days - after first posting it on the 997 (2004-2013) forum.. :?

Would it be possible to inform the OP if their threads are moved to a different location? - thanks..

Good shout; just picked up some black plastic caps from Kwik Fit, FREE!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back