Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone experienced PDK issues?

solaris

Trainee
I'm currently in the market for a 997.2 C2 S PDK. I've seen a few now and i'm generally happy with the car I'm currently waiting for the correct spec to appear. However before I go ahead I want to get a general consensus about the PDK box and it's reliability.

I'd like to hear from PDK owners about any issues they may have had with the PDK box and how it was resolved.

I think the PDK's reliability is pretty good. Obviously a mechanical device can fail, particularly if your thrusting high energy through it.
I read somewhere that the Porsche engineers weren't interested in logging the launch control such was their confidence in the transmission. If true, that says a lot.

I haven't had any issues in my year of ownership. But since the car is now six years old, it was time for a PDK clutch oil change, in addition to the usual service. This takes an additional day due to the need to recalibrate the gearbox.

The PDK is not the same as the VAG DSG, I've heard about a few failures on the smaller engined cars.

MaxA said:
I haven't had any issues in my year of ownership. But since the car is now six years old, it was time for a PDK clutch oil change, in addition to the usual service. This takes an additional day due to the need to recalibrate the gearbox.

The PDK is not the same as the VAG DSG, I've heard about a few failures on the smaller engined cars.

This is exactly the reason I'm gathering experiences. I had the DSG mechatronics unit fail on my Audi S4, lucky for me it was fixed under warranty, I dont want the same woes with my potential C2S PDK.

The PDK is a ZF box - a few places repair them (should the need ever arise) as opposed to the OPC swapathon.

My two nearest OPC's have reported hardly any PDK issues.

On the contrary, they say more problems appear to concern the 997.2 manual gearbox - usually stiffness in engaging 2nd gear...

Hi, I had some issues with the PDK box in my 3.6 C2. These included warning messages on the dash for transmission temp high and another which I can't remember, both resulted in the car going into limp mode which was scary on the motorway as it suddenly decelerated!

I'm the second owner and the OPC confirmed the previous owner had issues as well so they replaced the unit under warranty.

I've had no issues since (touch wood)

I've seen similar threads on here over the last 3 years but not very many and none with an unhappy customer :)

Over 3 years and no issues, touch wood :thumb:

I be only heard of early pdk boxes having temp sensor issues- apparently they cut out the old and solder a new on in place.

I haven't had any problems with my PDK, having said that it's still young mileage, doesn't get tracked or thrashed & it has the oil changed at OPC.

I'm not so sure it would take a full day to service the PDK, maybe one of the OPC technicians on here can give more of an insight to the process plus what they've witnessed in the workshop :?: .

Cars are a mix of luck and how much they're looked after.
:thumb:

So what 911 have you decided to purchase?

Friend had a PDK, had some major problems with it. After much back and forth with the OPC he eventually sold it back to the garage. So they can have issues, but think they are fairly reliable.

I'm on my 2nd 911 with PDK first car had no issues over 12 months.
My current c4s threw up 'emergency transmission run' error message and went into limp mode a few times but this was down to dodgy coil pack which when replaced cleared the issue.

The pdk box overall is pretty reliable , but as with anything they can go wrong .. Personnely I've not seen many problems .. And I've worked on them since they first came out.

MNC911 said:
I haven't had any problems with my PDK, having said that it's still young mileage, doesn't get tracked or thrashed & it has the oil changed at OPC.

I'm not so sure it would take a full day to service the PDK, maybe one of the OPC technicians on here can give more of an insight to the process plus what they've witnessed in the workshop :?: .

Cars are a mix of luck and how much they're looked after.
:thumb:

So what 911 have you decided to purchase?

I thought I was dead set on a 997.2 C2s PDK but now i'm considering C4s pdk a little confused but i'm sure i'll work it out

C2S versus C4S very much comes down to personal taste..

I prefer the C2 as I still like to 'play with the tail' 8)

I also prefer the wide bodied look of the C4 - so to get the best of both worlds, I went for the C2GTS... :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back