Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Non-starter - help please!

flying_scotsman

Nurburgring
My 964 refuses to start - what has been an occasional gremlin for a while seems to have taken up permanent residence.

All the appropriate dashboard lights come on with the first turn of the key, but instead of cranking /firing with the second turn I just get a click from the starter. Battery is in good shape - so is it DME relay or starter/solenoid that's faulty.

Any help/advice welcome.

Click from starter usually means the solinoid has engaged but the motor wont turn .. ie starter motor fault.

It can also be a poor engine earth strap.

If unsure a voltmeter on the thin wire to the solinoid on start .. it should maintain 12volts with key held in start position , the connection can corrode .. worth a look.

jump lead from engine to chassis will prove an earth lead fault.

Probably just a starter motor fault though.

That does sound like a starter motor problem and they do go. I fitted a new one last year because mine was sticking causing similar symptoms.

If you do need one I would advise you to go for a correct Bosch service exchange (new for old exchange) model rather than a cheaper version or waste time trying to service the one you have.

Mine came from Design911 who sent new and then refunded me part of the total cost when the old one came off and was sent back to them.

Don't forget the protection cap and while y'er in there Doc you may as well put on a new ground cable.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul, Demort - thanks for quick replies.

Lack of facilities and expertise mean that replacing the starter motor is not a job I can undertake myself. I have had a word this morning with my local indy (Dove House - very good) whom I use for most of the work on the 964 (basically everything beyond replacing battery, bulbs, fuses, relays etc). The car will be going to them some time in the next couple of days. I need to have the old girl in good shape for my forthcoming trip to Barcelona!

To eliminate any earthing issues check the unsheathed neg battery connector for general corrosion. If its original its worth replacing for a tenner. Changed mine and all my problems went away :thumb:

Starter motor now replaced with Bosch service exchange unit. Earth connections at battery and starter motor checked and both fine.

Tip from 993 section saved some cash - check price on carparts4less (internet-only sister company of Eurocarparts). My starter motor was significantly less at CP4L and Euro agreed to match the price :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back