Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rocker shaft alignment

Cloris

MODS; Please put in the correct forum in the vain hope someone can help this chap out.

Many thanks, Mike.

I think Cloris has a 1979 SC from his earlier posts so I've moved it to here.

:dont know:

T8 said:
I think Cloris has a 1979 SC from his earlier posts so I've moved it to here.

:dont know:

Initially it was in the 991 forum!! Cheers T8 :thumb:

Cloris said:
Looking for a little help I have a couple rocker shafts that appear to have moved a bit.
To put them back in place do you just loosen the centre bolt tap them back in and torque to 20lbs. Just thought I would do this to address a rattling that sounds like a noisy rocker before I search any deeper.

Hi I believe the standard spec is 13 ft/lbs, though I've heard a lot of folk are going to 18 as this locks the shafts in a bit tighter.
Remember to centre the rocker shaft on the rocker arm and not the housing on the shaft, that's important.
Turbocraft in the US make a kit which properly locates the shafts though it costs around 365 dollars, you'll have to keep checking these once you've moved it back as they can have a tendency to slide especially if there's any wear on the shaft/cam housing. Hence the slightly higher torque people use to prevent them "walking"
A good sign that all's not well with regards to rocker shafts is an oil leak onto the heat exchanger, when the shaft moves it causes oil to migrate past the shaft into the "dry" part of the rocker covers.In my case also on my 964 I had an unusual tappet sound.

Thanks 聲寶服務站 歌林服務站 聲寶歌林服務站

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back