Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear light lenses

MarkGolf

There's a thread on Rennlist Mark. Mixed response, but seem to work if you take your time. I'm thinking the same for a winter job on mine :)

Chris

I thought about doing that, but wasn't sure if you could get the centre reflector as well?

In the end I just replaced all my rear lights, was around £100 cheaper to go to Porsche direct than design911, just incase you decide to go down that route instead of changing the lenses. Was about £800 with PCGB discount

Hi Mark

I know I've read a thread on this too, Rennlist I reckon. I've thought about going that route as one of my rear lenses looks a bit 'crazed' and lets the car down. But am now considering renewing both rear light units (knowing what these cars are worth these days) but I understand after trawling the threads that they are now slightly different... Mine have a seal all the way around (1990) and the new replacements don't?? If anyone can point me in the right direction please do.

I know once the rear lights are done the centre reflector will look a bit dull, and so it goes on!

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Mike

Chris G said:
I thought about doing that, but wasn't sure if you could get the centre reflector as well?

In the end I just replaced all my rear lights, was around £100 cheaper to go to Porsche direct than design911, just incase you decide to go down that route instead of changing the lenses. Was about £800 with PCGB discount

Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Thanks for the tip, I think i will try these out, the rear lights were near new when I first picked up the car, it seems one has crazed within the last 18 months, it must have been knocked or had prolonged heat or something.. If the lenses fail, I'll have to make use of my PCGB memebership at an OPC. :thumbs:

You can buy the centre, when I found the above corner lenses, I did see the middle, 150euro, on German eBay but I can't seem to find it today. It was made by the same guys. Luckily I've never fitted my brand new centre so I hope that these lenses match. I will update my progress thread to detail how I get on when I get around to performing the swap.. :?

lenses looks a bit 'crazed' and lets the car down. But am now considering renewing both rear light units (knowing what these cars are worth these days) but I understand after trawling the threads that they are now slightly different... Mine have a seal all the way around (1990) and the new replacements don't?? If anyone can point me in the right direction please do.

I ordered a replacement rear light unit and then got quite irate with the guy from design911 when it arrived with no seal. He gently explained that Porsche changed the design and that whilst he would sell me a seal it really wasn't necessary.

Wasn't really convinced at the time, but I think I now understand. Any water simply runs "through" the unit - between the bodywork and the unit itself. I have one original and one new. After a wash or heavy rain the new one always has a clear lens, whilst the old one had a tendency to mist up on the inside of the lens.

I keep meaning to order a second new unit to match the other one. If you get close, it does look a little odd - one with a metallic edge and the other with a black seal. If you can afford it, do get both units.

Mark

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back