Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange smell on the brand new 991.1

Hmetwally

Hello :)
I just received my 991.1 production week 49. Finally a childhood dream coming true and the last of the naturally aspirated engines is sitting in my garage.
I only drove 150 miles on the car and each time i leave the car there is a smell of burning oil coming from around the rear wheels and engine
Is this normal for the brand new car? has anyone experienced something of the sort?

Thanks

If they put the breather pipes on the 991 as they did on the 997, you can sleep easy. Normal.

It is called the 911 smell... First time I smelt it I thought something has happened wrong... It is a mixture of oil, brake pads and clutch disc burning.. completely normal. you will get used to it and you will love it :)

Normal mate :thumb:

That's not strange - perfectly normal as per the above comments.

What you do is rag it around a bit before you get home and put it in the garage for a few minutes to get the full effect of scorched rubber/oil and goodness knows what else its cooking !!!

If Porsche could bottle it, it would be 'eau de Pork'

My 997.2 smelled like it was going to catch fire, never did though.

If she ain't smellin', then you ain't goin' hard enough!! :hand:

Thanks chaps that's today's bit of learning "the 911 smell" every day I learn something new on this forum.I thought it was just mine after spirited driving and wondered what it was :lol: knew it wasn't anything to do with the curry from the night before and the tight bend :grin: Now I know it's normal :thumb: :thumbs:

I get that too after a good run.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but i get the tyre squeel when turning and moving really slow. Sort of rubbing/scrubbing feel through the steering. I read on other threads that other people are get that too but wondered if "Everyone" experiencea this or some people.

jazzy2000 said:

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but i get the tyre squeel when turning and moving really slow. Sort of rubbing/scrubbing feel through the steering. I read on other threads that other people are get that too but wondered if "Everyone" experiencea this or some people.

Again totally normal , my 996 997 and now 991 and judder the wheels on 3 point turns
:thumb:

Rockunrolla said:
jazzy2000 said:

Again totally normal , my 996 997 and now 991 and judder the wheels on 3 point turns
:thumb:

Thanks. Just surprised it does that. Of all the other cars i have, only the 991 does it. Had 20" wheels on M5 & Q7 but ok with those.

Thanks Guys,
For the sake of sharing the knowledge here is the update

Having driven the car for a couple of thousand KM, the smell is definitely less than what i experienced initially.
There is still a burning smell after a good drive, but much more within reason. Initially it smelt like an ancient chemical factory, but gradually subsided.

Thanks again

Interesting to know.

When I first drove my current 981 I got that same smell, it was the normal oily burning smell but also had the added smell similar to an electrical or household appliance when it's used for the first time. That bit goes but the other smell is there when I've driven the car a bit hard.
I also like the tinkling mechanical sound that I hear as its cooling down - hard to describe but it's there if you listen.

When I first got my RS6, there were all manner of noises and sounds. The fans on that beast were immense when hot, cooling the Cosworth engine.

These forums are invaluable sometimes for top tips and knowing whats what in many circumstances. The RS246 website saved me a fortune over the years.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back