Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Time for a change, what to get?

markj113

I have had my 996 C4 for a few years now and enjoyed every minute of it. The last few months however I have found myself browsing other cars on ebay so its time for a change.

It will be a daily driver covering approx 300 miles per week.

Needs 4 seats so I can get my 8 year old daughter in the back.

Not a fan of BMWs or Mercs so have ruled out the M5 etc.

Narrowed my choices down to -

DB9 - running costs a concern
Maserati Granturismo - Fragile, expensive parts?
Jaguar XKR-S

At this moment in time the XKR-S seems to be ticking the most boxes any advice or suggestions?

At those mileages I would go for the XKR-S. There was an XKR out on a driving trip I did recently around Wales, it was a very nice car. I would be worried about that many miles on the others in your list. The fuel costs would probably bankrupt you on a DB9. Fuel economy is not their strong point.

MC

markj113 said:
I have had my 996 C4 for a few years now and enjoyed every minute of it. The last few months however I have found myself browsing other cars on ebay so its time for a change.

It will be a daily driver covering approx 300 miles per week.

Needs 4 seats so I can get my 8 year old daughter in the back.

Not a fan of BMWs or Mercs so have ruled out the M5 etc.

Narrowed my choices down to -

DB9 - running costs a concern
Maserati Granturismo - Fragile, expensive parts?
Jaguar XKR-S

At this moment in time the XKR-S seems to be ticking the most boxes any advice or suggestions?

Mark, My 2p on it.
Came from a DB9 into a 911 , you will be disappointed after the new car novelty wears off, they don't handle drive or are as reliable as the 911 and the frequent repair, maintenance costs are shocking. My DB9 was my daily I did 65,000 miles in just under 4 years and mine was nearly new when I got it so I would imagine if you are looking at a 06/07 car the costs will be higher, very few places will touch them except a main dealer.
Marerati , I have looked at them as you are for the same criteria reasons and discounted them for the same reasons you list.
Jag XKRS huge depreciation, less rear space than the 911, not as special looking as the 911 but do sound nice V8 growl .
if it was me and my budget was mid 30K's which from the sound of the cars you list is probably where your at I would be looking 997 gen2 even if I had to stretch the finances a bit, the extra finance will be less than the increased running costs or depreciation of all three of the others. the 997.2 pdk with launch and sport plus doesn't get much better as an all round sports car that will easily handle the high daily drive mileage. the 997 is great as a daily but still special at the weekend for hoons.
So thats my 2p on your dilemma :thumb: :grin:

A well specced Audi A4 or A3 RS
even the RS4 avant looks pretty good, very solid and fast too.

Any particular reason why the Panamera didn't make the list? They can be had from a smidgeon over £30k according to Autotrader... Are you specifically after a 2 door, as the more the kids grow: the less of a great idea that might become?

Would an Audi TTRS suit. :?:

The new era of Jags are great cars. I'm running the big XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio as a daily and it really is all the car you would ever need... a real Jekyll & Hyde motor. :cool:

C.

DB9 and XKR really aren't 4 seater cars, even for an 8 year old in the back. A 911 actually has better rear seat space than both those cars.

Also depreciation, reliability and fuel costs will be a concern if you're doing 15k miles pa, therefore I'd vote for 2 cars. An Aston/Maserati might lose its specialness if you're driving it every day...

I ran an XK-R convertible when the current shape first came out. Fantastic engine and sound. Fuel is the biggest bill but you know that already.

If you've never ran one before I would thoroughly recommend one to tick of the list but as implied above they are really a 2+2. I remember running 4 adults in mine for about two miles and said never again :eek: but an 8 year old should be fine assuming you have another option on the drive for mundane work, the Jag would be a real treat for them :thumb:

I'd never been a fan of Mercs or BMW's......but after a spin driving a friend's 1M coupe soon found myself scouring the classifieds.
Has a decent boot and 2 seats in the back more than adequate size for teenagers or young adults.
Fantastic handling and speed- absolute hoot to drive.
Negative = attracts boy racers and lacks the cache of a 911 or Aston etc
but you'll not care once behind the wheel.
Also -few cars have such strong residuals as a 1M coupe.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back