Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mid engined 911 GTE car?

tim993

There's been a few articles suggesting this will be the configuration of the 2017 GTE cars.

Also repeated today on Radio Le Mans in the light of the 2015/2016 RSR being so comprehensively outgunned by the other manufacturers.

Should the FIA approve such a car for the WEC without - as is suggested - there being a similarly configured road car?

On the one hand I think they should have to build the road going versions - it's not as if the space in the rear of the cabin of a GT3 serves any purpose - so it would be no big deal and they'd have no problem selling them.

On the otherhand GTE cars are so far removed from the road cars whose looks they loosely share that I wonder if it really matters.

views?

tim

I think there will always be those who argue that if the engine is not at the back its not a proper 911?

I for one would like to see it :)

the lack of front running pace of the what was the all new 2016 RSR was shocking, when the wider 991 platform solved so many of the limits of the 997 generation

a mid-engined 911 you say, that's a no from me :hand: although if they do manage to sneak the engine slightly forward in a race car, can I get a road version of that ?

Turbo charged 911 RSR is the way forward for the moment ?

of course they could release the 918 RSR :?: a concept car from 2012

Attachments

• autosport2012porsche918_04_169.jpg
    autosport2012porsche918_04_169.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 10,290
  • autosport2012porsche918_06_184.jpg
    autosport2012porsche918_06_184.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 10,290
  • autosport2012porsche918_01_141.jpg
    autosport2012porsche918_01_141.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 10,290
  • autosport2012porsche918_22_179.jpg
    autosport2012porsche918_22_179.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 10,290
Porsche News said:
the lack of front running pace of the what was the all new 2016 RSR was shocking, when the wider 991 platform solved so many of the limits of the 997 generation

a mid-engined 911 you say, that's a no from me :hand: although if they do manage to sneak the engine slightly forward in a race car, can I get a road version of that ?

Turbo charged 911 RSR is the way forward for the moment ?

of course they could release the 918 RSR :?: a concept car from 2012

The RLM guys described it literally as Porsche swapping the location of the engine block with the gear box. I have no issue with it because as I see it the rear cabin of a GT 911 is dead space, so why not? Agreed though a proper mid engine car would be nice, but then again will anything short of a similar 'prototype' be able to match the Ford, without serious BOP.

If they move the engine forward then that means they can have a bigger NA engine I would have thought. Why don't they just do that and stick in a 6.0 litre flat six?

I think there are limits to how far you can move major components like the engine and gearbox, away from the road car with whom the race car supposedly shares a small % of its genetic code :grin:

Roro said:
If they move the engine forward then that means they can have a bigger NA engine I would have thought. Why don't they just do that and stick in a 6.0 litre flat six?

Turbo is a more efficient way to make power these days. I dont think they are too worried about the Ford, i cant see it being around for long, the marketing job has been done.

Senoj said:
Roro said:

Turbo is a more efficient way to make power these days. I dont think they are too worried about the Ford, i cant see it being around for long, the marketing job has been done.

considering it turned up, won on Le Mans on Sunday and returned with an order book full of Ford GT's when it returned on Monday, job done

Le Mans, it needs more power

They'd sold them all way before heading to La Sarthe, several times over, but I take your point!

Senoj said:
It lives. Spied testing at Monza. I wouldnt be so certain on the road car as they seem to tweek the homologation rules to suit, nothing new there...potential GT2RS maybe with this config?

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-testing-2017-spec-911-gte-turbo-at-monza/

Depends if it is a temporary waiver (like Ford being able to race before putting it into production) or some kind of exemption. If they do make a GT2RS for homologation though, the rules require them to make 100 cars within 2 years and I think we all know that if that were to be what they did : every potential car has a preferred customer name against it already, making the discussion somewhat moot.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back