Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Chris Harris reviews the 718 Boxster S and is driving a 911R

hmmm....maybe i should ease back on the mileage after all and keep my 981 as a garage queen, 20 years time, i will have the last of the NA flat 6's.

Actually, that isnt going to happen i know but these 718 reports arent so great are they.

What I seem to deduce from what Ive read so far is that they look better than they sound and drive faster than they look.

:D

Yeah Chris seemed to be saying something like that. It's faster and handles better but sounds like crap. Ultimately the speed increase will be negligible on the street. Of course until people start remapping them to 450hp!

Will be interesting to see if they are popular. I suppose some whom are not Porsche fans and just like to have the newest version will buy. Will remain to be seen I suppose.

Maybe it will be like Formula 1, everyone hated the noise initially but now we are used to it.

Personally I'd never learn to love that sound and wouldn't want to put the roof down in the summer.

Good article from Harris, but he must have spent half the time complaining about the engine :grin:

I need to get to a dealer to listen to what all the fuss is about. I was at Reading a few weeks back and thought it was fine looks-wise, I should've asked someone to switch one on for me...

Roro it sounds crap not as good as the old Impreza .

There is no subtlety to the noise and its almost embarrassing, like a chaved up Corsa.

I think Porsche have jumped to early on the 4 cylinder bandwagon, for the amount of money they are charging for a 718 they are going to have a hard job shifting them . A 981s was hardly slow and handled pretty well for most mere mortals, if I owned won I wouldn't be changing.

Quite a confusing report on the 718 by Chris. :roll:

Almost split in his own head as to whether the minuses are balanced by the pluses. :bonk:

No doubt, the 718 will find a new band of customers who have never experienced the joys of a flat NA 6.

Problem is as Harris says at the end, there's not a lot of alternatives, this is it

I'm waiting for the electric version to come out, i can imagine the sales pitch "you hated the sound of the old car so much that we decided to remove the engine altogether" :bandit:

I thought that was a pretty fair review.

There was just enough balance between CH speaking his mind and not going too far and finding it rather more difficult to get on the next waiting list.

Though I don't wish to come over as cynical.

tim

I'm hoping Chris will get a 911R. He mentioned in his GT3RS video that he tried to buy one but 'Porsche wouldn't let me'.

Anyone who hasn't heard one really does need to go and drive one. Chris's review is spot on. The noise is so offensive that it's hard to get past it so I can understand his review perfectly.

I read Chris' review also and came to the same conclusion as most of you - he still seems to think its an excellent car, but the noise clearly more than disappointed him. As you say, I can't see that this is going to be anything like as successful as the last cars.

It seems to me that Boxsters - and small sports cars per say - are getting less and less popular. 15 years ago people were falling over themselves for small sports cars, now its a case of super car and hatchback. Perhaps the world has moved on, and people who were buying Boxsters now buy Macans.

I was speaking to a guy from LandRover just after the Evoque launch a few years ago, and he said that the focus groups told them that the type of person who buys an Evoque was typically an Audi TT driver.

megdog said:
I read Chris' review also and came to the same conclusion as most of you - he still seems to think its an excellent car, but the noise clearly more than disappointed him. As you say, I can't see that this is going to be anything like as successful as the last cars.

It seems to me that Boxsters - and small sports cars per say - are getting less and less popular. 15 years ago people were falling over themselves for small sports cars, now its a case of super car and hatchback. Perhaps the world has moved on, and people who were buying Boxsters now buy Macans.

I was speaking to a guy from LandRover just after the Evoque launch a few years ago, and he said that the focus groups told them that the type of person who buys an Evoque was typically an Audi TT driver.

I dont think that personal preference has as much influence as the company incentives to buy, basically people out there are driving cars that they don't even want just because it's the best deal that can be got on contract hire or company car deal.
My workmate loves my old Range Rover after borrowing it for a couple of trips and he says he would love to have a Porsche but instead he has a great big Mercedes, which he doesn't like much but gets the best deal when it comes to company car tax.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back