Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fraudulent Sale: 993RS / 4Star Classics

911 Collector

Gents--

I purchased a 993 Carrera RS from 4 Star Classics / 4 Star Supercars (t/a Petrolface Ltd.) in Hampshire through their ad in the Pistonheads classifieds.

This vehicle was advertised as "factory standard" and represented in writing as "matching numbers: chassis, engine and gearbox". However, it has subsequently been proven rogue: it bears a non-RS engine that's been tampered to show the original engine number. Experts have proven beyond doubt that the engine is neither original nor genuine to a 993 RS. The same story goes for the gearbox (a regular Carrera G50.21 item) and suspension components (regular Carrera wheel carriers, sway bars, brakes). The car is essentially a fraud, bar what appears to be a real chassis.

The issue has been taken up to the dealer's sole director, James Mann, who initially promised to resolve the matter promptly. After much prevarication, Mann subsequently shifted blame to parties upstream to 4Star (which are in no way involved or even identified in my transaction as I had only dealt with Mann throughout the transaction). Last week, James Mann went on to say that "unfortunately the legal risk rests with you [the Buyer]."

This matter is now being resolved legally. While that process will take its natural course, I want the public to be aware of 4Star's outrageous deeds.

I am prepared for a protracted legal battle; however that evolves, this is quickly becoming an issue of principle: unethical practitioners should not be allowed to continue in their ways and prey on the classic enthusiast community. That 4Star James Mann and would even attempt to brush off a complete fraud as a "Buyer's problem" is grossly offensive.

This is the original 4Star advert on PH:

https://web.archive.org/web/2015110...orsche/911-993/porsche-993-carrera-rs/4335501

And 4Star's original advert on their website (which has since been taken down):
https://web.archive.org/web/2015100...assics.com/porsche-993-carrera-rs-for-sale-4/

p.s. It's a crying shame that PH forums wouldn't allow the naming of this egregious offender, which apparently is still advertising on their classifieds. :evil:

Attachments

• fake_993rs_4starclassics_121.jpg
    fake_993rs_4starclassics_121.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 5,746
They allegedly sold a matching numbers 993 RS with non RS engine and gearbox. Situation was heading for courts last time i saw link on PH before it was taken down by mods.

It was a concession sale so the buyer is in a very difficult position. FWIW I like their blue 964 too. Buy the car not the dealer. :thumb:

That sounds like a very sticky situation to be in :eek:
I'm a 993 man i owned a lovely 964 back in 2007 sold for a song :sad: missed it everyday since .. Ooooo that flat six :puh:

There prices are at the top end... You will require deep pockets

IMI A said:
They allegedly sold a matching numbers 993 RS with non RS engine and gearbox.
If that is indeed true that's truly shocking :eek:

Yes its not cheap is it :nooo: looks in great condition mind you ..
I already own a great 993 C2 and would like a 964 C2 then again ive been thinking sell the 993 and buy a 993 turbo :?: looking for the best investment long term

Bought a 3.2 Carrera from them about 3.5 yrs ago. Very good example.
All the cars a SOR as far as i'm aware, but I think they are way too expensive these days.

They sold a black RHD 964 a while back with low mileage which looked sweeter than a field full of candy cane.

I do like the way their cars appear in pics, always look on point with matching tyres etc.

The 964 in question is lovely looking, colour is not for me.

I'd agree they're asking strong money for a car with:

- Baltic Blue - I like it but it's a marmite colour.
- Cream Interior - PITA to live with.
- Wrong wheels
- No sports seats
- Missing badge on engine lid - why?

Nothing you can't put right if you like the colour and spec.

porsche-911-964-carra-2-cp-S2596589-5.jpg

NottsRS said:
IMI A said:
They allegedly sold a matching numbers 993 RS with non RS engine and gearbox.
If that is indeed true that's truly shocking :eek:

Many moons ago I went to view a 993 RS Touring at a Ferrari main agent.

Turned out it was just a pre-vario C2 with a bodykit and no aircon.

rstaichi said:
looking for the best investment long term
:roll:

Money's right for a 80k C2. Whether the car matches up to it is another matter. Might be some provenance to it that I'd want to reassure myself with the previous owner.

Nipple covers missing off the nuts underneath spoiler :what: And WTF are those two 'rings' on the rear PU - reversing sensors :nooo:

:eek: Blue dash! But other colours divert the eyes. Wheels are wrong, seats standard (actually they are OK). Whilst wide bolster seats are preferred, given they look the dog's gonads. living with them is a different proposition as they interfere with gear changes. Fan obviously needs sorting but correct Porsche belts, recent clutch and top end rebuild give good indications. Stereo is shoite :thumb:

Money's right for a 80k C2.

Zingers talks up the prices on a 964 ....... but every 993 is only worth 25 bags ....... I wonder why? ......... :floor:

p.s. ........ For £80K you can buy a much better 993 ...... :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back