Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Torn between late 996 and early 997

GT4 said:
Phil 997 said:
The one least likely to get bore score is a 997.1 3.6 manual.
My indy says 3.6 997's don't get bore score . Don't is a strong word but I agree less likely and very few recorded cases.The manual again less likely than the tip. a 06 or some late 05 have the newer IMS bearing the engine numbers pre and post are avail in my garage just click on my car and scroll down. I say go 997.1 3.6 man with as many options as you can get but don't let spec put you off as 99% of things can easily be retro fitted.
If you can find a 997 with X51powerkit within budget grab that as they don't have any of the ims or bore score and they are dam quick :thumb: :grin: otherwise an 06 997.1 3.6 manual

Would be nice if it were true, but X51 doesn't mitigate either of those issues.

In the time I had between reading Phil's post and getting down to yours (circa 15 seconds) I was a little bit happier as I have the X51 option. However deep down I knew it could not be true :sad:

Definitely a 997 over a 996 for the styling alone, interior and exterior! Although 996 C4 Anniversary is nice!

Just be very careful what you buy!

tordofm said:
GT4 said:
Phil 997 said:
My indy says 3.6 997's don't get bore score . Don't is a strong word but I agree less likely and very few recorded cases.The manual again less likely than the tip. a 06 or some late 05 have the newer IMS bearing the engine numbers pre and post are avail in my garage just click on my car and scroll down. I say go 997.1 3.6 man with as many options as you can get but don't let spec put you off as 99% of things can easily be retro fitted.
If you can find a 997 with X51powerkit within budget grab that as they don't have any of the ims or bore score and they are dam quick :thumb: :grin: otherwise an 06 997.1 3.6 manual

In the time I had between reading Phil's post and getting down to yours (circa 15 seconds) I was a little bit happier as I have the X51 option. However deep down I knew it could not be true :sad:

X51 variants have the same IMS.

They also share the same slightly bizarre coolant gallery re-design that is the main contributory factor to bore score.

Compared to the 3.4, the 996.2 and 997.1 3.6/3.8 M96/M97 blocks receive upto 30% less coolant flow on the second bank/later cyls (#6 etc)

That and the longer stroke of those blocks are the main causes for BS.

One caveated silver lining on the X51 is that high load/high temp work (ie racing) is cooler due to the extra centre rad.

The caveat is that, due to the dysfunctionally located thermostat, low to normal use may actually cause more issues when a centre rad is fitted as it cools the thermostat "too much", and ironically shuts down the block flow even further)

I think the choice was 996.2 or 997.1

moved into the 911 Range Comparisons forum :roll:

Why no to Tiptronic ?

First - Sorry Mr rolling eyes - about posting in the wrong section.

Now - Why no to Tiptronic ?
Would that be a London issue ? (short stop/start journeys ?)

So reading all the above :-
I should be looking for a manual 3.6 997.1
Inspection is a MUST

Thanks

Chris

mzmini said:
+1 997 looks newer :)

-1 I like classic cars and 996 looks older :)

I agree; 996 is actually far more modern in its design and 997 is retro.

Re: Why no to Tiptronic ?

997man said:
........ - Why no to Tiptronic ?
Would that be a London issue ? (short stop/start journeys ?)

There is a school of thought that suggests that the fact that the 'tiptronic' pulls away in second gear can exacerbate bore scoring.

There is a school of thought that suggests that the fact that the 'tiptronic' pulls away in second gear can exacerbate bore scoring.

That's the kind of information I was looking for !

I have seen a 3.8 997S with Tiptronic 98k miles - does that sound like it could be past any possible issues ?
OR - does it appear to be creeping close to a 'normal' engine rebuild ?

OR there is an early 3.6 manual 997 with 42k miles and a new engine

Choices, choices !

We are leaning towards Tiptronic as my partner is partially disabled and she prefers auto.

Chris

In your position I'd be looking for a 3.6 Tiptronic with sub 80k miles.

From your user name it looks like you've already decided on whether to go for a 996 or a 997. :wink:

EDIT> p.s Not sure if it was a typo but there's no 3.4 litre 997. The Carrera is a 3.6 and the Carrera 'S' is a 3.8.

It would be a 996 for me but for a different reason to all the above - the steering. The 997 has a variable ratio steering rack which is lighter, less immediate around dead ahead position and communicates less.

GT4 said:
tordofm said:
GT4 said:
Phil 997 said:

X51 variants have the same IMS.

They also share the same slightly bizarre coolant gallery re-design that is the main contributory factor to bore score.

Compared to the 3.4, the 996.2 and 997.1 3.6/3.8 M96/M97 blocks receive upto 30% less coolant flow on the second bank/later cyls (#6 etc)

That and the longer stroke of those blocks are the main causes for BS.

One caveated silver lining on the X51 is that high load/high temp work (ie racing) is cooler due to the extra centre rad.

The caveat is that, due to the dysfunctionally located thermostat, low to normal use may actually cause more issues when a centre rad is fitted as it cools the thermostat "too much", and ironically shuts down the block flow even further)

Ah we learn something every day, I had been informed (clearly misinformation) that the X51 kit used some modified parts that meant bore score certainly wasn't an issue, but apologies for passing on mis-info and I have learnt something new today ,I still would like the X51 kit on mine though :grin:

From what the OP is saying about his personal needs , a 2006 (newer ims bearings) 997.1 3.6 tip with low mileage and a borescope inspection done as part of his due diligence pre purchase checks should get him sorted :thumb: :grin:

And then fully warm the engine before going over 3000 rpm as part of the daily driving routine. :thumb:

Frankie said:
It would be a 996 for me but for a different reason to all the above - the steering. The 997 has a variable ratio steering rack which is lighter, less immediate around dead ahead position and communicates less.

That would explain why when I added a 4" underdrive pulley and shorter belt the steering felt so much more connected and precise on my 997.1 :thumb:

I really like my 996, however it's had a Hartech rebuild so I'm less worried about the bore/IMS issues: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=89550

I've never driven a 997 so I can't comment on the quality of the drive. But I listen to lots of music and audiobooks when I'm driving and a downside of the 996 'media' system is that it is pre-Bluetooth and the inbuilt satnav is out of date (forever I suspect)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back