Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

N24 this weekend

Despite there seeming to be a distinct balance of performance advantage for the Mercs, it delivered a pretty awesome race I thought. With a win margin of only a handful of seconds after 24 hours it turned out a bit of a classic. The mayhem from the downpour at Aremberg and the hail storm up at the top of the circuit were highly compelling, but there was decent racing and top commentary from RadioLeMans throughout :thumb:

Just back home from this and I can only say it was a great event to be witness to, the whole weekend seems to feel like it was a week long but at the same time it was over in a flash.

I took as much time as possible to get around everywhere but still didn't scratch the surface of it, I think they should change it to 48 hours. I'm thinking this was just a recce for next time, even though I know my way around the place from plenty of previous visits, I just didn't find the time to explore the areas other than the GP circuit and the bars, watching various bands and wandering the camping areas.

Atmosphere was crazy and what I expected really, Glastonbury meets Le Mans both places I like, so to mix them seems natural. I have a few pictures (not of great quality) and video I will post some up as the week goes on and I find the time, I'm just chilling with a Jupiler or two as it's also my birthday.

As for the hail storm that stopped the race, I was in the grandstand for the start as I thought this the best place to be for the noise of the rolling start and I was watching a very black cloud coming from the West, the top right of this first corner picture. The only place that got away without getting wet was where I was sat in the grandstand near the Mercedes stand.

I could do with a bit of info as obviously the live race commentary is all in German, I noticed both works 911's were far from pole on the grid, 912 being about 12th and 911 about 25th. I missed who had qualified where but this seemed unusual to have them both so far from pole. Number 911 only did the start lap and I never saw it again. 912 made it to third as I zipped my tent up for the night, only to find out the next day just before lunch that it had also retired. What were their individual issues.

Also the Manta didn't finish, it got the biggest cheer of the start line but why did it retire? All three cars I was there to support retired. :frustrated:

I ended up supporting the falken 911 #44 but even that was nowhere in comparison to the Mercs whitewash.

Watching the night driving was mega, at the Dunlop hairpin the cars at full chat down the hill had their brake disc glowing red and the 911's also had their exhaust tips glowing red, such a sight to see and I hope some of my videos picked this up. The Merc's did sound very good, the M6's seems to make a horrible noise as if it was broken but as usual the flat six was king of noise paired with that gearbox, they howl and the instant up shifting and back firing with each shift sounded awesome.

I'll post various videos and pictures (if I find some decent ones) of my weekends experience once I get to see what I actually did record.

Chris, this is great stuff, thanks for.posting.
Looking forward to a proper catch up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back