Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

Max , Nice pics mate the Alloys come just in line with the arches nicely . :grin: :thumb:

One more. Looking for the different camera angle. :thumb:

Attachments

• img_20160430_small_852.jpg
    img_20160430_small_852.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 56,791
Another nice pic mate, but did you know someone has put your steering wheel on the wrong side :grin:

Wrong side? No, I find it every morning pretty much where I expect it to be... :wack: Although I'm still getting used to the starter which is definitely on the wrong side. Almost as bad as that SAAB Turbo* I had a few years ago... :nooo:

* back when turbo's were Turbos, wheels were spun, lines of traffic despatched in huge lunging overtakes (now illegal of course), sheep were frightened, and you had Turbo Gauges... none of this modern, ALS or torque limited nonsense.

MaxA said:
Wrong side? No, I find it every morning pretty much where I expect it to be... :wack: Although I'm still getting used to the starter which is definitely on the wrong side. Almost as bad as that SAAB Turbo* I had a few years ago... :nooo:

* back when turbo's were Turbos, wheels were spun, lines of traffic despatched in huge lunging overtakes (now illegal of course), sheep were frightened, and you had Turbo Gauges... none of this modern, ALS or torque limited nonsense.

LOL Well that's a good thing that the wheel is still where you left it each morning.

I remember those days, I had a wide body Mitsubishi Starion turbo at one point ,overtaking all those XR3i boys lol

new cleaner rear end

My new rear end, sans Carrera 4S script, but with a little addition

Attachments

• img_20160603_115739_121.jpg
    img_20160603_115739_121.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 10,534
road trip to dubai anyone? first 911uk meet..... 8)

Not much to report save that I'm missing Mr White, as I am currently out of Dubai for the summer :sad: not that I'm missing the extreme heat. Hopefully the car and its tyres will have survived.

When I get back, I'll have to arrange a service, PDK oil change, the annual Insurance and registration, and I'll be getting the Hayward & Scott installed. :thumb:

I'm back! The 997 was surprisingly cool under it's (Porsche) external car cover, it started first time after sitting for six weeks, and sounded pretty dull. The tyres weren't flat spotted as I had the car sitting on some foam pads (a square foot or so of inch thick playground foam), so all was well. I'm really looking forward to getting the first real mod done: the Hayward & Scott is sitting in the firm's delivery bay waiting for me!

I've just had the H&S fitted, and I'm very pleased. I reported back my first impressions in the group buy thread [many thanks to the organiser!]. I also had a minor service done, as it's been a year (or not quite) since the last one, and a full condition report. Tomorrow, it goes back for the PDK gearbox oil change. Apparently it takes a whole day as they have to recalibrate the gearbox. Hmm.

Anyway, I also got a long list of advisories. First, the front Pirelli's are cracked, as they're already old (2012s or 13s). :x This sucks, as they look brand new, but I'll replace all 4 tyres after the Porsche Club trackday at Yas Marina in mid October. With N-rated Michelins. :)

Second, my front suspension is shagged, with failed/failing bushes and light knocking. They need removal and reassembly with some fresh bits. I put this down to the bloody speed bumps, even if I do slow down properly to negotiate them. I suppose that age and heat doesn't help rubber bushes either. Bollocks. :sad:

Third, my front brakes are knackered. Both pads and discs are shot, and should be replaced imminently. Arse :frustrated:

Last, my radiators are full of sand, dust and cigarette butts. I'll be having them cleaned tomorrow, but even this is a pain in the behind, as it's a bumper off job to access those corners... :nooo:

The tyres, brakes and shocks will have to wait a month, and then I'll have re-registration and Insurance in November. It's going to be an expensive time. Hey ho.

Painful, but I guess you'll be getting a full geo done too, car will feel great with that done plus new shocks/brakes and tyres :thumb:

Talking of tyres, wouldn't be surprised if people suggest the michelin supersports as an alternative to the PS2 n-raters. Don't have them myself as I'm a bit boring about sticking with n rated, but many on here go for them on their 997.

Yup, I'd consider the Internet's favourite tyre, the MPSS, but I was also reading about why manufacturers work with tyre-makers on tyrereviews.co.uk, and I was chatting to a bloke with a nice custom red 991 C2 at an independent motor shop the other day: he'd just removed a set of rims with non-N rated Pirelli's which had cracked in a matter of weeks of just road use. We had a good look at the wheels as they were still lying on the floor of the workshop. He was pretty mad with Pirelli, which had sold him the tyres directly. Apparently the reason was that non-N rated tyres aren't built for the weight distribution of a 911.

As such I reckon that I may well be better off on N rated tyres ...

And yes, I'll be getting the wheels rebalanced, full geo set up etc. And I'll probably get a set of uprated non-OEM brake pads too.

my 911 on Al Asayel at sundown - that's JLT/Dubai Marina in the distance

Attachments

• img_20160923_174805_163.jpg
    img_20160923_174805_163.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 9,908
  • img_20160923_175008_hdr_156.jpg
    img_20160923_175008_hdr_156.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 9,904
I've removed the awful yellow shark fins without losing any lacquer, but it seems that I now need a bit of detailing to clean up the surrounding paint, which is a lot dirtier than I'd anticipated. It's almost as if the paint protection was applied on top of a dirty car... :?:

MaxA said:
I've removed the awful yellow shark fins without losing any lacquer, but it seems that I now need a bit of detailing to clean up the surrounding paint, which is a lot dirtier than I'd anticipated. It's almost as if the paint protection was applied on top of a dirty car... :?:

The quality of work/workmanship in Dubai is generally pretty shocking. We came back from there 3 yrs ago and whilst we had a great time, there's no getting away from the fact that it's still a 3rd world country. It may have shiny buildings and many other great things, but 80% of people who live there are from the developing world and that can be.....frustrating.

I opted for an M6 whilst there as decided it was unlikely I'd buy one in the UK. The number of M and Audi RS cars I had to look at and get checked over before I found one I'd accept was ridiculous. Few people there look after them, locals too rich to bother and many expats too poor to pay for it as its not cheap in Dxb.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back