Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My long overdue 964 project

A few recent images of the work in progress, it's starting to come together now.

Repairs_3.jpg

A bit of bad news, I've heard that the car has sprung a fuel leak which I guess (i've not been to look yet) from the description is from the tube as it bends up toward the engine - same as Chris' recent leak. I noticed the tubes looked a bit rusty recently and had it on my to-do list. On a positive my friend has just opened a classic car restoration business (RS Classic Cars and Services) so I'll get it repaired there as I'll be able to get it up on the lift - I'll transport it there from the body shop.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Good to see that Garry is making progress. Hoping to get mine in soon for the same treatment.

Now that you are going full glass out are you also removing the sunroof and painting the top? I only ask as I am looking at almost identical work and the only thing I can't decide on is if I should do the whole shell or just go up to the windows.

Are you finding more rot in there than you expected? Worried now that mine may be worse than expected.

Cheers.

Major surgery there, but she's in safe hands.

Coming along nicely Steve :)

Chris

Hi,

Ghengis said:
Now that you are going full glass out are you also removing the sunroof and painting the top?

Last discussion I had decent discussion with Garry the sunroof was coming out but I'll go with whatever he suggests is best.

Ghengis said:
Are you finding more rot in there than you expected? Worried now that mine may be worse than expected.

Not really. The only surprise was the top of the NSR light box, last time I was in there I didn't see the rot. The impact bumper damper mount rot and NSR sill area and NSF wing was well known to me. Now is the time to sort it all so the more Garry finds the better if you know what I mean.

I hope to see yours in the queue soon, feel free to poke around mine :eek:

deutschland-dobson said:
Coming along nicely Steve :)
Chris

Cheers Chris

Hi Steve, I dropped a light in for him so he could get the position of the light holder right, the repair he did looks mint.

Thomas, the roof is the only part of mine that hasn't been painted and you can't tell.

igaffz said:
Hi Steve, I dropped a light in for him so he could get the position of the light holder right, the repair he did looks mint.

Thanks for that Ian, I got a surprise when Garry pinged me the photos as I removed the lights before I had delivered the car. I did guess the lights were yours :thumb:

Steve

Had a peak at your car today Steve, it's looking good. Lots of good work being carried out.

Hoping mine will be in soon now that Garry has taken a look at it.

Ghengis said:
Had a peak at your car today Steve, it's looking good. Lots of good work being carried out.

Cheers Thomas,

I managed a quick visit today to check out the fuel leak, from my brief inspection it seems it is not corroded tube but a connection at the rear of the engine - where the tubes join. I'll check it in more detail when I get more time.

I also had a peek at Ian's 928, ready for paint I heard. It also popped up on Facebook today.

A few more images of the ongoing body works.

After these pictures were taken the windows were removed and, guess what....a bit more rot found. The driver side front lower corner of the screen is the worst (not as bad as some I've seen thankfully) and will need new metal. I've bought a repair panel for Garry to cut a bit from, that should arrive mid-week.

I think I may be about a week or two weeks away from getting the car back.

Repairs_4.jpg

Coming along there. Just waiting for my turn now. :salut:

Nice to see a rare red one Steve

Keep up the good work it ,will be worth it

I have not done to much to mine, only drove it 500 miles total in the last year due the wallet busting gearbox rebuild and new lsd diff on my 993 :sad:

Well, after 4.5 months away I finally got the car back from Garry a couple of weeks since. After managing to screw it all back together I was not happy with the vinyl wrapped reflector and lights so I got those on order from OPC.

Unfortunately whilst the car was away it developed a fuel leak and on examination I found it to be squirting badly from a perished fuel hose, yes the little hose that is hard connected by tube all the way to the fuel pump.

I had already planned to sort the fuel lines as there is a bit of corrosion on the tube bend as it arcs up over the wheel arch. After further inspection today I'm going to replace most of the tube with braided teflon hose, connecting to the tube on the underside (most of the tube is sound) and then running all the way to the filter. Only difficulty may be joining the 10mm tube to the 3/8 tube adaptor but I think I can sort that.

Once it is running again the car has to go back to Garry for a final polish and then I'll take it to Chris at Total Detailing for some paint protection.

Collage_2.jpg

Hi Steve,

Is that the same fuel line part which DD had a problem with last year?

Chris will make it look better than new :thumb:

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Is that the same fuel line part which DD had a problem with last year?

Chris will make it look better than new :thumb:

Hi Paul,

From memory DDs went on the steel tube, probably the same place as where mine is corroded.

Chris does a cracking job, he's done a good few cars for me now including the Porsche last March for my daughters wedding. I could do with getting my Beemer in as the blue should shine up well.

Hi all,

So, now I've made my new fuel lines and fixed the leak and had a few weekends play its now time to get back to replacing the suspension. I've been getting all the bolts loose in slow time so that when it comes to the big weekend it will hopefully be less of a fight. Only the big rear bolts still to defeat!

My question to those who have done the suspension swap thing, how do I get a baseline set-up in advance of getting the geo sorted ? Do I just fit the H&R springs to the Bilstein B6s as they come out of the box or do I have to make some adjustment to the collar position? I'll be honest and say I haven't read the documentation that comes with the dampers yet :roll: . I've read a few DIYs so I'm happy to do the swap just a bit clueless on the set-up.

FYI I'm going to try and get Redline at Thornaby to do the geo.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
Steve

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back